Newb questions can you help?

jus4fun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a photography question that I thought you might be able to advise me on. I’m using a canon powershot SX410IS in Auto mode. I use a tripod and set a 2 second timer. Even though lighted, the camera asks for flash. Sometimes the non-flash shots are better.
I use a mini photo studio with filtered light (top, sides) with a black velvet background. When attempting to shoot white objects I get heavy blurring. I will soon be shooting more glossy, metallic, shiny vinyl, etc. as well and would appreciate any thoughts or tips you might offer.
I have never used the others settings and would need some handholding, babysitting there

In auto mode the camera set the requirements for the shot not the photographer thus the flash. Unfortunately I do not believe that your camera has a manual mode. In manual mode you not the camera makes the decisions on setup and will take a photograph based on your selection of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO.

As for the other issue, post some images and we will have a better idea of the problem you are having.

Heavy blurring? Due to camera shake perhaps, or due to a focus error issue? As mentioned above, posting a photo would likely help TPF members to diagnose the problem, since we could see it, and see the EXIF information the photo carries with it. Not sure what settings options the camera allows. If there is a 10-second timer, that might work better than a 2-second delay.

Also note that a black background will cause the metering system to overexpose the subject. You will need to be able to tell the camera what to do rather than to have the camera tell you what it is going to do.

fmw said:
Also note that a black background will cause the metering system to overexpose the subject. You will need to be able to tell the camera what to do rather than to have the camera tell you what it is going to do.

Good comment there ^^^, from fmw. A black background will usually require some Minus Exposure Compensation to be dialed in to the camera's metering system. The meter will often tend to sloooooooow the shutter speed down too much when it sees a lot of blackness, so try Minus 1.5 to Minus 1.7 EC as a start, and see if that helps get the object rendered at the right brightness value, while keeping the black background DARK and black.

.. I get heavy blurring.
The blurring is because the camera is missing focus. Either it cannot detect an edge on which to focus or it is trying to focus on the background (or foreground).

Your camera has determined that the scene is not lighted well enough, so is giving you the option for using the flash. Since it sees a too-dark area and cannot focus, it sounds to me that there is not enough light.

Note: continuous lighting is not enough light except for long exposures (20-30 seconds in extreme cases). If you could add significantly to your continuous lighting setup (lots more light) your camera could then locate the object on which to focus.

In auto mode the camera set the requirements for the shot not the photographer thus the flash. Unfortunately I do not believe that your camera has a manual mode. In manual mode you not the camera makes the decisions on setup and will take a photograph based on your selection of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO.

As for the other issue, post some images and we will have a better idea of the problem you are having.

As stated, I am a newbs' noob, that is, I've never used a camera in Manual mode (up to now, I've never had to) and I've never had a photography class or had someone sit down and explain shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. I do understand what each word means and HOW it affects the way an image can be recorded, but have never experimented with those three variables to find the best results for a particular shooting environment. Honestly, I don't know where to begin. So, when I said "newb, babysitting, handholding" I wasn't kidding. I need help with some beginner stuff.

fmw said:

Good comment there ^^^, from fmw. A black background will usually require some Minus Exposure Compensation to be dialed in to the camera's metering system. The meter will often tend to sloooooooow the shutter speed down too much when it sees a lot of blackness, so try Minus 1.5 to Minus 1.7 EC as a start, and see if that helps get the object rendered at the right brightness value, while keeping the black background DARK and black.

So, you are saying I should remain in Auto mode, just go into the Settings and change the Light Meter a bit? I will have to do some digging to see if my camera has exposure compensation, but my guess is that id does. Don't forget...I am a N-E-W-B to the photographic world and terminology. Thanks!

.. I get heavy blurring.
The blurring is because the camera is missing focus. Either it cannot detect an edge on which to focus or it is trying to focus on the background (or foreground).

Your camera has determined that the scene is not lighted well enough, so is giving you the option for using the flash. Since it sees a too-dark area and cannot focus, it sounds to me that there is not enough light.

Note: continuous lighting is not enough light except for long exposures (20-30 seconds in extreme cases). If you could add significantly to your continuous lighting setup (lots more light) your camera could then locate the object on which to focus.

Thanks! I will experiment and bump up the light and see how that affects the outcome. Previously I thought there might be TOO MUCH light, especially from the top and sides. So I cut back some.

Also, I shut OFF the lights from behind the camera, not wanting their reflection showing up on the objects' shiny surface.

Not sure what settings options the camera allows.

Specifications
IMAGE SENSOR
Type 1/2.3 type CCD
Effective Pixels Approx. 20.0M¹
Effective / Total Pixels Approx. 20.5M
Colour Filter Type Primary Colour
IMAGE PROCESSOR

Type DIGIC 4+ with iSAPS technology
LENS

Focal Length 4.3 – 172 mm (35 mm equivalent: 24 – 960 mm)
Zoom Optical 40x
ZoomPlus 80x
Digital Approx. 4x (with Digital Tele-Converter approx. 1.6x or 2.0x¹).
Combined approx. 160x
Maximum f/number f/3.5 – f/6.3
Construction 12 elements in 11 groups (1 UD lens, 2 double-sided aspherical lenses, 1 single-sided aspherical lens)
Image Stabilisation Yes (lens shift-type), approx. 2.5-stop¹. Intelligent IS with 4-axis Enhanced Dynamic IS
FOCUSING

Type TTL
AF System/ Points AiAF (Face Detection / 9-point), 1-point AF (fixed to centre)
AF Modes Single, Continuous, Servo AF/AE¹, Tracking AF
AF Point Selection Size (Normal, Small)
AF Lock Yes
AF Assist Beam Yes
Closest Focusing Distance 0 cm (W) from front of lens in Macro
EXPOSURE CONTROL

Metering modes Evaluative (linked to Face Detection AF frame), Centre-weighted average, Spot (Centre)
AE Lock Yes
Exposure Compensation +/- 2 EV in 1/3 stop increments.
Enhanced i-Contrast for automatic dynamic range correction
ISO sensitivity AUTO, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600
AUTO ISO: 100 – 800
SHUTTER

Speed 1 – 1/4000 sec. (factory default)
15 – 1/4000 sec. (total range – varies by shooting mode)
WHITE BALANCE

Type TTL
Settings Auto (including Face Detection WB), Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Custom
COLOUR MATRIX

Type sRGB
LCD MONITOR

Monitor 7.5 cm (3.0”) TFT, approx. 230,000 dots
Coverage Approx. 100%
Brightness Adjustable to one of five levels. Quick-bright LCD
FLASH

Modes Auto, Manual Flash On / Off, Slow Synchro
Slow Sync Speed Yes. Fastest speed 1/2000 sec.
Red-Eye Reduction Yes
Flash Exposure Compensation Face Detection FE, Smart Flash Exposure
Flash Exposure Lock Yes
Built-in Flash Range 50 cm – 5.0 m (W) / 1.4 m – 2.7 m (T)
External Flash Canon High Power Flash HF-DC2

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Look at the manual: http://www.camera-usermanual.com/manuals/canon/Canon_PowerShot_SX410_IS.pdf
On page 99 you can see how to set exposure compensation and on page 118, there is the info how to turn off the flash.
Unfortunately you don´t have the option to shoot manual as gryphonslair already said.
Would you mind showing us some images as others have suggested?

You said you know what the settings Shutter Speed, Aperture and ISO mean and how they effect your image if I´m correct? Or do you need some guidance there?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back