Newbie...C&C please?

ErinTheAmateur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone!!

These were taken a few months ago but I haven't had anyone to really critique them (so happy to stumble upon this forum). I got my first dslr back in August and I've been trying to practice as much as possible. Since these photos were taken I've started shooting RAW, have had a bit more practice balancing my meter, etc., and I've signed up for a few classes w/ local photographers.

Both shot w/ Nikon D3100 50mm 1.8. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks!

#1 - 1/4000, f/2.2, ISO 1600

#2 #2 - 1/500, f/2.2, ISO 200

The first shot would have been a winner with a tighter crop of just the lock and the boy. Also, the hand coming out of the boys head is distracting.

Thanks Rick!! As many times as I've looked at that photo I never noticed that but it is a bit strange and distracting.

On #1 your settings were very strange. Are you shooting manual? If you were not at 1/4000th then you wouldn't need 1600 ISO. On #2 I would recommend showing more of the boys face. For the edit I brightened it up, this could have been avoided with different settings; I also cropped in tighter. You are off to a good start!

EDIT: $8154949190_375c45755a.jpg

Attachments

• $8154949190_375c45755a.jpg
    $8154949190_375c45755a.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 71
I like both those images; his eyes are compelling me to think for a while ....the lock and chain in #1 and the wooden bars in #2 are really talking :D

On #1 your settings were very strange. Are you shooting manual? If you were not at 1/4000th then you wouldn't need 1600 ISO. On #2 I would recommend showing more of the boys face. For the edit I brightened it up, this could have been avoided with different settings; I also cropped in tighter. You are off to a good start!

Hey, thanks a lot. I think this was my shot at shooting in manual. We were outside @ 2pm so I'm not even sure why my ISO was up so high. This was a lesson learned, as getting decent shots at that hour proved to be quite difficult. The sun was BRUTAL. thanks again.

I like both those images; his eyes are compelling me to think for a while ....the lock and chain in #1 and the wooden bars in #2 are really talking :D

Thanks! I didn't even notice the lock & chain while we were there but once I got home and uploaded the pic, I thought it was so cool!

Number 2 is my favorite. I would suggest cropping it so you lose the bows elbow in the bottom left corner and just keep it as the wood, his face, and his hands.

Number 2 is my favorite. I would suggest cropping it so you lose the bows elbow in the bottom left corner and just keep it as the wood, his face, and his hands.

Hi, thanks. Is it possible to do this without chopping off his fingers?

Erin... you really should change the DO NOT EDIT in your profile... as often by editing a photo, we can show you a much better way to have shot it, or how to improve it with post processing.

EDIT:

Gabe.. she is set to DO NOT EDIT! lol!

#1 isn't doing much for me, I really like #2: you really get the impression of a baseball player in the making! The diagonals are working well too IMO for what this communicates.

Erin... you really should change the DO NOT EDIT in your profile... as often by editing a photo, we can show you a much better way to have shot it, or how to improve it with post processing.

Hi, thanks. I have changed this in my profile now.

#1 isn't doing much for me, I really like #2: you really get the impression of a baseball player in the making! The diagonals are working well too IMO for what this communicates.

Hey, Thanks for your input!

Hi, thanks. I have changed this in my profile now.

Cool.. I was bored... and did this!

Edit to show boy with no distractions............................... Original
$111.jpg $8154949190_375c45755a.jpg

See the difference in how the adult in the Original really does distract from the boy?

The boy with the distressed look on his face with his hand on a door that is chained up and an adult holding the door...

That does NOT work. Not at ALL.

Well, unless you wanted a somewhat unpleasant perspective. Then it works great.

You need to think about what every element in the shot can and will say to the viewer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back