newbie here... looking for 1st SLR... need help

What camera do you have? (if more than one, pick fav)

• Total voters
sounds like some good advice... from what i read, it sounds like the canon AE-1, AE-1 program, and the A-1, all have Shutter Priority, Aperature Priority, and Auto Exposure... is that correct?

ok, found a lot of contradictory information, but i think i got it... the AE-1 & the AE-1 Program have Shutter Priority and Auto Exposure, with the A-1 being the only one of the three that also has Aperture Priority. I've also found that the Nikon FA and the Minolta XD11/7 has all 3 modes as well. I've won a bid for a really cheap AE-1 Program camera... pic below... i'll see if i really need the 3rd mode soon. :)
00_1.JPG

So your the one bidding againt me.... joking.... :lol:

Congrats on your purchase. Looks like that camera should serve you well. Supposedly built between 1981 and 1987 so its a fairly up to date camera technology wise.

I could not help my self.... Yesterday, I was at my local camera shop picking up some processed negatives and ran into a Mamiya Sekor 1000 DTL w/ 50mm f1.8 lens on consignment for 70 bucks. Probably built in the late 60s to early 70s. It is in very good shape and one of the few 35mm SLR models Mamiya built before focusing their attention to medium format and abandoning 35mm technology all together. Feels like it was built like a tank! One of the coolest features on the camera is that it has both center average and spot metering.... very unique for that time period. According to the shop owner who tested it out when accepting it for consignment, the meter over exposes about 1 stop. No way to fix it but its pretty easy to compensate for it. Sounds like I have another camera to add to my collection. :)

as a second side note: i also won a bid on a really cheap, but good, XD-11 set to try out.. When looking for cheap lenses, i found out that the minoltas have a HUGE range of lenses they can use... any manual minolta from the 1st (1958) to the newest (X-370) can take any manual (non maxxum) minolta lens from the oldest to the newest... so i decided that if i found an XD-11 really cheap that i would try that as well... and i did! picture below...
minolta%201.JPG

so i guess in a couple of weeks i'll be posting some results... (oh, and sorry for the large size... i hope nobody minds)

Most reactions

Back