Newbie Here--Needs advice buy different camera or hire photographer?

Even though as a pro photographer this is not probably in my industry's best interest, I am going to suggest you get your own kit to photograph your items. In most areas, you can expect to spend at a minimum $5-$10 an item for photography, which for a consignment shop will pretty seriously cut into your profit. With good lighting, even a camera as basic as the S3 will produce good images, plenty good enough for web.
Thanks for the honest advice. Is there a particular kit you'd recommend in conjunction with my mannequin?

Thanks for the advice. I was able to work on Photoshop some tonight and felt like it helped and changed up the lighting just a tad.
atwood2copy.jpg

I liked the shoes with shadows better, it helps anchor the product. You might want to check craigslist or put an ad out as a for trade, I've shot product before in exchange for the product itself. It was good advertising for both because it went up on my facebook/website and my name went up on hers. I agree though, don't worry about the camera get a better lighting set up. You can get a backdrop stand with muslins for fairly inexpensive, and shoot on days where you have sunlight (and then edit for color balance) or even an overcast day :)

ETA- If you open your images in ACR it has a dropper for easy WB :)

I liked the shoes with shadows better, it helps anchor the product. You might want to check craigslist or put an ad out as a for trade, I've shot product before in exchange for the product itself. It was good advertising for both because it went up on my facebook/website and my name went up on hers. I agree though, don't worry about the camera get a better lighting set up. You can get a backdrop stand with muslins for fairly inexpensive, and shoot on days where you have sunlight (and then edit for color balance) or even an overcast day :)

ETA- If you open your images in ACR it has a dropper for easy WB :)

Never thought about shadows like that. Thanks!
Yes that would be a great idea.I'm going to look into getting a better lighting set up this week. I currently have a backdrop stand with white paper is muslin much better? Just wondering as I've seen it in the store before but the people working there always seem to direct me to paper. TIA!

White paper is great for your purposes :) I use muslin because I shoot my kids and paper gets dirty/ripped etc :) Muslin I can just wash!

White paper is great for your purposes :) I use muslin because I shoot my kids and paper gets dirty/ripped etc :) Muslin I can just wash!

Oh that's awesome. I didn't realize you could wash it but, it makes sense b/c it's fabric! BTW, what is ACR? Thanks!

ACR is Adobe Camera Raw. If you have photoshop I believe it comes with it? Normally it will open automatically if you have raw images, but since your camera has jpegs it wont. You should be able to either Open With or open in Bridge (also comes with Photoshop) and then under File it saw Open in Camera Raw. Its much easier to use for minor edits like White Balance and exposure.

Most reactions

Back