Newbie in Colorado seeking advice

SubOhmGirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
So, I have been a point and shoot photographer for years. I have always loved having a pocket camera and going out and taking pictures. Recently, I decided to take things up a notch and learn at a much more serious level.

So.... today my brand new Nikon D3400 arrived. Yay!!! It came in a bundle with a bunch of stuff but my only lens so far is a 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G VR AF-P DX Nikkor zoom lens. According to my research it's a great little lens but I need more. As far as my subjects and style goes... I love nature and animals/wildlife maybe the most but I definitely have interest in macro, portraits and urban/architecture as well. The one thing I don't have any interest in is video. I am most definitely ballin on a budget...

My question is: what lenses and accessories would you all recommend that I buy first and why? I already have a backpack and tripod as well as a remote, couple of memory cards, a cleaning kit, a digital slave flash, a 55mm tulip shaped lens hood, an ultimaxx 6 piece gradual color filter kit, and an ultimaxx UV filter. I don't know if any of this stuff is good... Also, I don't mind used gear and would like to keep my first shopping trip under $300.

Hi, and welcome!

You're going to want a longer lens for animals/wildlife, and a macro (Nikon "micro") lens.

I think most people can hand-hold a fairly long lens, say up to around 300mm, but get one with VR. You'll need to practice holding it steady, and always have the option of using a tripod or monopod as well.

I agree with Designer that if you want wildlife you will want at least a 300mm lens what's your budget? to give people an idea of what they can recommend that's in the budget

Use what you have. In time you will learn for yourself what you need to add.

For $300 your going to be buying a lens that is about the same quality level of the kit lens. Unless maybe you get something used at a good deal. Now the 55-200mm AF-S DX VR lens is very decent for the money. No, it's not anywhere near the best lenses. But it is a capable lens. You might want to pick it up for the longer range. And then as fmw stated. Use what you have to learn what you need.

Also it sounds to me like you bought one of those bundled kits. And well, many of the items in it are.... well..... junk.

Sorry did not notice you had put what your budget was in the original post

Thank you guys for the suggestions and advice. Keep it coming! Designer, thanks for the advice. I think I will start that route. I may get that 70-300mm lens first since I am finding the lens I have isn't too shabby at macro, or at least larger macro type items like a flower. Haven't tried anything smaller yet. After I have that,then maybe find a good macro lens and that should be a decent start as far as glass goes. Anything else that's in your camera bags that you can't live without that I may have forgotten?

Anything else that's in your camera bags that you can't live without that I may have forgotten?
Lately, I've been more interested in portraiture, so I have acquired some nice glass with portraiture in mind.

No birds, no "street", no astro, just pretty much portraiture. I did, however, obtain one macro lens, but it also works for portraiture. :eyebrows:

Buy used/refurbished to stretch your budget. Take a look at the Sigma and Tamron macro lenses at less than half the price of a Nikon. I own the Tamron 70-300 and the VC (vibration control- Tamron's stabilization system) is excellent.

ETA - it also works for portraits

Buy used/refurbished to stretch your budget. Take a look at the Sigma and Tamron macro lenses at less than half the price of a Nikon. I own the Tamron 70-300 and the VC (vibration control- Tamron's stabilization system) is excellent.

ETA - it also works for portraits
Ohhhhh you have peaked my interest. Is there a certain size or type of lens I need to use with my Nikon d3400? I'm about to check out Sigmas and Tamrons online.

Ohhhhh you have peaked my interest. Is there a certain size or type of lens I need to use with my Nikon d3400? I'm about to check out Sigmas and Tamrons online.
Yup. They need to be "AF-S" lenses. The focusing motor needs to be in the lens for auto focus. Yes, you can manually focus a lens, but many newer lenses have the Silent Wave Motor (SWM) inside the lens. Your camera will not auto-focus any of the screw-drive lenses.

You need to get the Nikon mount version of the lens and if it's an AF lens and you want AF you need to make sure it has built in AF motor since the 3400 doesn't have its own AF motor (check me on that but I'm pretty sure it doesn't).

If I'm searching I usually put something like "Tamron 90mm macro for Nikon used". I think the Sigma is a 105mm. Just make sure when researching and reading reviews that you are looking at reviews of the version of the lens you have in mind. Multiple versions of each lens can be an issue.

Oh, one more thing; inside your user's manual, there is a chart that lists the lenses that are compatible with your camera. Nikon lenses. For another brand, ask the dealer or check the website of the lens manufacturer.

I would just use the lens you have right now for at least six months. After a couple months you might add the 35mm f/1.8 DX lens, it is within your budget new. There is plenty of great stuff to shoot in Colorado where you don't need or want a telephoto lens.

When you do go for a telephoto lens, I like the new 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3 DX G ED VR AF-P lens. I have the older 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR AF-S lens and it is still a great lens to walk around with all day in the high-country. That new DX AF-P version is close to your budget, but I would put it off until late spring or early summer and that will give you something new to learn and play with after you've had a chance to really get to know your camera and what you already have.

Most reactions

Back