Newbie looking for C&C

Dionysus22851

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first C&C post (2nd post over all). Don't take it easy on me just because I'm a baby. ;)

These photos are untouched, and taken in the past week. I'd like your thoughts on angles, exposure, and composition. All photos taken with a D3100 with Nikon 55-200 AF-S 4-5.6G lens.

Last, but not least. Thank you for any advice you can offer.

6147783347_fefcf0e33d_z.jpg

A turtle setting crossing the road in front of my house. After I shot him, I helped him the to other side so he didn't get run over... "I like turtles!"

6147782529_3d3a507a1d_z.jpg

A small spider hanging out on a tomato cage on our porch.

6147781727_ed54d9a754_z.jpg

My father-in-law. Ugly as all get-out, but has a heart of gold. Set the camera to Monochrome.

OK, let me start by asking you a question. You say these photos are un-touched. I suppose you mean you haven't done any extra editing to them, but why post them here for C&C unless you think no editing was required?

C&C per your request.

#1) Blown highlights, subject alone lacks interest. Just placing it by rule of 3rds isn't enough to make the picture. Perhaps in a garden or some other context might have benefited the composition.

#2) Lacks contrast and levels adjust. The wire starting at the top central with empty space in 1/2 of the frame.

#3) Good subject, nice emotion. Great character but should have been shot in Portrait orientation and lacks contrast.

A little work in editing could possibly bring out some positive qualities to these shots.

You are correct in the assumption that my "untouched" comment means that I haven't done any post editing (photoshop, ect).

To answer your question; they look good to me as is, but I lack the eye of experience (obviously). My purpose in posting them here is to get feedback on how to improve my shots. I know post editing is a must, but I'd like to get the shots a good as possible at the time of the shoot. I thought that showing the 'un-post-edited' photos would give a better look into my skills (or lack of) with the camera.

#1. I agree it's a lot washed out/over exposed. It kinda gave me the feel of a lonely turtle on a desert road (which I thought was cool because I live in the mountains).

#2. You're right, there is a lot a wasted space there. Maybe shot from the left at an upward angle would have been better (more wire, and sky). Would defiantly still need some cropping though.

#3. You're right, portrait and a different background would have looked better for this one.

Thank you for your feedback.

The last one is great. I like the landscape orientation and deadspace here - it makes me wonder what he is looking at, what is causing his obvious delight...

You have slightly cut off his ear and the top of his head, but that doesn't detract too much from it for me, but is something to consider in the future.

The only other comment I'd make is to suggest you don't use the monochrome mode on the camera, even if your intention is to convert it later. You would almost certainly do a much better conversion yourself in pp.

I think they look good, maybe a bit to much light on the turtle shell but, I'm a n00b as well.

you, sir, have a SICK name c:

1. looks overexposed, composition is kind of boring
2. try cropping it, might make it a little bit better
3. like the photo honestly, although there is more you can do with it. it will come with time. oh and if you're going to monochrome, do it in post, not on the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back