Newbie needs help with Light Tents

Ivy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I'd like to start selling my late grandmother's extensive doll collection (on eBay or via a website) and just purchased an Alien Bees lighting set-up. Now the question is, what to place the dolls on for the shoot? (Obviously will be shooting them one at a time. Generally no doll is taller than 20".) As a newcomer, it seems the pop-up "tents" are fairly easy to handle and will solve a lot of unwanted reflection/shadow problems. On the other hand, the DegiBee set-up comes with umbrellas - so should I construct a light panel and figure out how to place the umbrellas? Can anyone give me some advice? I'm definitely NOT going to try to shoot other types of product, so am not interested in spending a lot of $$. Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome to the forum.

The Digibee package has three or four lights, doesn't it?

I would set up the dolls as it it were a portrait shoot. One light as a main light (maybe at about 45 degrees and slightly above). The fill light could be on the other side of the camera, but closer to the camera. Then use the remaining lights as background and/or hair lights.

Thanks, Mike. The DegiBee outfit comes with 2 lights. Do you think I need a third? Have you used the tents before? I'm trying to keep the process simple, as I am a beginner. Ivy

I would think that with umbrellas, you wouldn't need a light tent. They essentially do the same thing, which is to soften and diffuse the light.

You don't really need a third light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back