Newbie To the Photo Biz.. Need advise

Yes. I do take photos at team games but i mostly tape it so cant really move around to do that so that is just done from the stands.

In that case, I would

* cancel your order of 1d-MarkIII
* Keep the 5D
* Either purchase a few primes or the 24-70 f2.8
* Tripod
* Set of strobes and stands
* sell everything else... (except the video stuff).

In the second post you say:
The sports photos are simple still not to mucy creativity to that.. Most of my photos are take at games while in action and they team is either school or mine.
I want to clearify when I say sports Photography I am referring to taken team still's and not so much in action.

So, are most of the photos actually photos of the teams at the beginning of the game, or photos of action during the game????
To me, all this seems like some 7y.o. kid is teasing us, I apologize if I'm wrong.

To me it just seems like you just wanna show off all the equipment you have, because this is a photo forum we dont need to know the different types of video equipment you have. just my humble opinion.

We can not really tell you how to "use" your cameras, the best way to learn anything is to try out your own techniques and experiment. I really think having 5 different types of cameras is kind of useless. I can understand having maybe 3 but 5 is just not justifiable.

Since you have all this gear why don't you just set up a fake studio setting in your garage or whatever and practice shots, since you say you are doing mainly portrait photography, that way you could learn and see what types of lighting does what and what kind of effect you are going for.

Then again you say you have someone doing all the post processing for you and you are just simply taking a picture, and someone is doing all the marketing for you then why do you need our advice for a photography business. I'm sorry i just dont understand.

Then again you say you are doing sport photography and not doing team portraits but then again on the other hand you say your doing only team portraits and not action photography and you wanted to learn and not the other but also want to learn that one too but not the other. I know that last sentence made no sense but then again thats what you are generally asking of us. Im just sorry I doubt you will find the help you need here. Sorry

So, are most of the photos actually photos of the teams at the beginning of the game, or photos of action during the game????
To me, all this seems like some 7y.o. kid is teasing us, I apologize if I'm wrong.

Ok When I take actually photo's It will be team Still. As of now I take photos at the game.. Myself or my daughter take them and they are not for sale they are just personal collection and i usually put them on the dvd of the game which I tape for the school. I am getting into the team photo's I dont take them yet so I hope I am not confusing anyone. That is not my intention. I thank all of you for you advise and help.

My team photos will be mostly of summer aau or yboa or mayb teams. And all are basketball league's

Thnx..

Teasing you about what. Are you kidding me. Am I missing something!!

To me it just seems like you just wanna show off all the equipment you have, because this is a photo forum we dont need to know the different types of video equipment you have. just my humble opinion.

We can not really tell you how to "use" your cameras, the best way to learn anything is to try out your own techniques and experiment. I really think having 5 different types of cameras is kind of useless. I can understand having maybe 3 but 5 is just not justifiable.

Since you have all this gear why don't you just set up a fake studio setting in your garage or whatever and practice shots, since you say you are doing mainly portrait photography, that way you could learn and see what types of lighting does what and what kind of effect you are going for.

Then again you say you have someone doing all the post processing for you and you are just simply taking a picture, and someone is doing all the marketing for you then why do you need our advice for a photography business. I'm sorry i just dont understand.

Then again you say you are doing sport photography and not doing team portraits but then again on the other hand you say your doing only team portraits and not action photography and you wanted to learn and not the other but also want to learn that one too but not the other. I know that last sentence made no sense but then again thats what you are generally asking of us. Im just sorry I doubt you will find the help you need here. Sorry

I dont know you and you dont know mean so how could I be trying to show off something. That is crazy to even have that though. I take photo's at the game now of MY DAUGHTER FROM THE STANDS AS I RECORD (i capped to make things clear and make sure its seen) I PLAN TO TAKE TEAM PHOTO'S ONCE I AM SET UP PROPERLY AND HAVE THE CLASSES I NEED TO WORK THE 30D WELL ENOUGH TO BE CONFIDENT TO DO IT. As of now I use my Rebel to take photos at my daughters game during the school season from the stands as I video record the games. I ask for advise from any one in the field fron any info they would like to offer someone entering into this business as they once did. PERIOD If you cant help me that is fine. So many already have and I thank you so much. As for Portriats, I will be taking photo's of my Hair Stylist's clients for my magazine, which is a hair magazine. Those are the only one's I will be taking. I am not trying to compete with anyone. All my markets are niche. I do my own marketing as I already have a business. I have various camera's because they were suggested by business associates. PERIOD

I dont know why I have offended people and I did a search for boards to gain knowledge and since its a forum though I would be welcomed. I feel it by some. How on earth can a person take harm from a stranger they done know. And why on earth would you think a stranger is trying to show off.. I see many people have a list of the eq in the siggy or post. Though that was normal.

Well thats about it, I have a great one and best of luck to you.. I have no hard feeling and hope you the best although you dont seem to wish the same for me and want me to leave. XE have a good one.

Please, do not feel ofended, but many people here are into photography for years, and they KNOW it's not easy to get into that sort of business just like that.
Having equaipment is not enough. I think some people have tried to tell you that it's not the point in having too much of equipment, but to know how to use it. People here cannot teach you how to use the camera, but can only give you pieces of advice to overcome certain problems, but only if you already know what to do. No one can teach you on a forum how to do something step-by-step, including camera handling, that's why there are books about photography.

And as someone suggested, since you do not lack money, you can easily find courses in photography where you will learn much more than here.
For the start, you can try these:
http://www.llvj.com/videos/camera-print.shtml
and here you have workshops from which you can chose the most interesting for you (there's one in Marketing):
http://www.llvj.com/workshops/

Also, some online courses and books here:
http://www.shortcourses.com/
Business and photography books:
http://www.camerabooks.com/category.aspx?categoryID=1293
and some books about using Canon cameras:
http://www.camerabooks.com/category.aspx?categoryID=1284

Hope this would help. Have a good time reading.

I agree with you on the eq. We were told to get the eq for one reason or another. The Idea of the mag as well as the team photos is something that came about because we had the eq to make it happen. we will focus on our local summer teams and using that as a way to raise money for our own team as it were. The mag for hair is also focusing around another of our projects. I am not trying to say the biz is so easy and disrespect anyone here. We are just trying to make some things happen for our clients mainly. I appreciate all of your for your insite and help. I would never dishonor anyone and try and play them. This is all business. I just wanted insight to the business and know the work ahead. Thnx again to all of you ok.

Thanks so much !!!!

ItzBitzHair,

I just wanted to offer some sincere advice. I think I know why you are getting the harsh responses.

I believe it is in the way you came into the forums as a new poster, and you put up this list of all kinds of expensive gear, and it seemed as though you were basically asking people how to use all this gear because you have all these business ventures so you want everyone here to explain the best way to take photos for all these different situations with all your different gear.

I think 99% of the people here are very passionate about photography. They come here really wanting to learn because they love photography. Most of the people here will probably do photography their whole lives, and if they make money at it, great! But if they don't, they will probably still do photography. Most of the people take years with really low level cameras and go out and shoot and experiment and gain experience until they can afford to buy that nicer camera. Then they start to get lenses, and slowly build up their gear.

But to have someone come on here with a grocery list of expensive gear and hardly any knowledge how to use it, but to expect someone to explain it to them in a few posts might be kind of offending to some who have worked years and years and put in countless hours of taking photographs in order to hone their skill.

I think you kind of have to ease in, get to know people a little more, and maybe post threads with one or two specific questions at a time. (Such as, "What do you think is the best light to use for portrait photography for a hair magazine?" or something to that effect) You will get a lot more responses this way. You're not likely to find someone who will sit down and post you a list of different shooting scenarios and which way to shoot for each scenario and that sort of thing. That's because most of us have learned this ourselves by shooting, and experimenting and reading. You can find a lot of good info in a lot of good photography books.

I'm not trying to be rude, just a friendly observation. I think it just looks to a lot of people like you simply want to make money and want to know the easiest way to do it, but I could be wrong and maybe everyone else is to.

Anyway, I don't mean to rant.

ItzBitzHair,

I just wanted to offer some sincere advice. I think I know why you are getting the harsh responses.

I believe it is in the way you came into the forums as a new poster, and you put up this list of all kinds of expensive gear, and it seemed as though you were basically asking people how to use all this gear because you have all these business ventures so you want everyone here to explain the best way to take photos for all these different situations with all your different gear.

I think 99% of the people here are very passionate about photography. They come here really wanting to learn because they love photography. Most of the people here will probably do photography their whole lives, and if they make money at it, great! But if they don't, they will probably still do photography. Most of the people take years with really low level cameras and go out and shoot and experiment and gain experience until they can afford to buy that nicer camera. Then they start to get lenses, and slowly build up their gear.

But to have someone come on here with a grocery list of expensive gear and hardly any knowledge how to use it, but to expect someone to explain it to them in a few posts might be kind of offending to some who have worked years and years and put in countless hours of taking photographs in order to hone their skill.

I think you kind of have to ease in, get to know people a little more, and maybe post threads with one or two specific questions at a time. (Such as, "What do you think is the best light to use for portrait photography for a hair magazine?" or something to that effect) You will get a lot more responses this way. You're not likely to find someone who will sit down and post you a list of different shooting scenarios and which way to shoot for each scenario and that sort of thing. That's because most of us have learned this ourselves by shooting, and experimenting and reading. You can find a lot of good info in a lot of good photography books.

I'm not trying to be rude, just a friendly observation. I think it just looks to a lot of people like you simply want to make money and want to know the easiest way to do it, but I could be wrong and maybe everyone else is to.

Anyway, I don't mean to rant.
Thnx for you observation and I can see you reasoning and I apologize for any offenses I may have caused anyone. To be hones I love taking pix as well. It was a plus that we have the tools to make it happen. This is a passion of many sorts to me. I will not go into detail and I dont want to waste you guys time. I am sorry for any one that feels insulted it was not my intent. I know there is a lot of hard work involved and I have to do that work. I am going to do it. As stated I apprecaite anything you guys offer. and Thnx fo ryour advise.. I did not take what you said as a rant either...

thnx so much all of you I appercaite it.. really!!!

Not trying to offend or be a smart#### but this is what I would do in your situation. I would put an ad in the local paper stating advanced amateur or pro photog wanted. Then sell all of that expensive gear and pay the pro to do the pics. You will spend money wisely and save alot of heartache by trying to cram a photography course into a few months which takes most of us avid photogs years to learn.

i was thinking alittle like skipper. find a pro to do your hair pictures until you have taken a few classes and are able to do it yourself. Or you could ask the pro to let you be an assistant and learn on the job. In your first post you stated that you wanted to do alot in a short time. thats impossible. the software along can not be mastered in a year. as for the photography for the hair understanding the lighting is very very important. your goals area in reach but you must give it time. the things that i can do with a camera today i couldnt do 5 years ago. its all come with studing praticing and some prayer. but again if you can outsource the photography until you are as good as the pro doing the work you should be able to start that mag. good luck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back