Newbie To the Photo Biz.. Need advise

ItzBitzHair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, This is my first post. I am very excited about getting myself off the ground and want to get any advise you guys can offer.
I currently take photos at basketball games for my daughters team and other games and want to take advantage of the equipment I have to make this into
income. Also I plan to start a Hair Magazine and will be photographing model's for the magazine. The will be from head to full body shot's mainly
showcasing styles of hair. My photography business for sports and magazine will be the main focus of my business. I plan to take team photo's for b ball
and other sports.
My equipment is the following:
Canon Rebel Xti
Canon EOS 30D
Canon EOS 40D
Canon EOS 5D
Sony Alpha A100k
18-55mm Lens
28-135mm Lens
75-300mm Lens
Canon Speedlite 430EX
2X Teleconverter for canon
I have hot lights (umbrella lights)
A Hdr-Sr1 Camcorder
A JVC Everio High Def Camcorder
and 2 Tripod's
I also have a EOS 1D Mark III That I am waiting on.
I have Corel Paintshop Pro; Adobe Photoshop Elements; Adobe CS3; Final Cut Studio; Apple Shake

I want to know how to proceed with learning to set my camera's to take pix in each scenario. I want to learn the min needed to take pix for my Layout
Designer for the Magazine. I am not sure where to start. I have had request from people to do photo's for the school in several diff event's but dont want
to get out there until I am comfortable with the camera and settings. I have everything I need to get off to a good start but the knowledge and comfort.
I need to know what camera to use with what situation. And what photos to take ect. I want to take some classes and learn to use the software I have so I
won't have to source out editing and retouch forever. I want to lauch my mag marketing by march and have the first book out my May or June.
Any Only Tutorial, Courses, Advise, Classes info will be appreciates. I especially would like to hear from other professionals. This is not for Fun Only
for me. I want to use what I have to make these projects a success as well as Make Money.
ANY Advise Will be Greatly Appreciates.
Thanks in advance for you time.

Wow, you have probably at a rough estimate I'm guessing at least $20,000 worth of equipment that you don't know how to use and you plan on having an operation running by summer?

I'm definitely no pro but that doesn't sound too realistic to me. It takes quite a while to be able to take great shots and to really learn how your camera operates, much less 3 or 4 expensive cameras and a stockpile of other gear.

That would be great to have all that gear. I would just be more realistic with the timeline if I were you.

Also, just because you have a ton of expensive gear does not automatically make a great photographer.

That is true. I need to know to how to take photos for the magazine only. This is the hair photo's. I do not do the retouching or layout so that is not an issue. The makeup artist does the face the stylist does the hair. I take the photo of the styles, usually about 15 shots. We will feature the 3 they stylist chose for the book. That is the just of the mag. The sports photos are simple still not to mucy creativity to that.. Most of my photos are take at games while in action and they team is either school or mine. ( I have a summer league) I am not doing that portion for money so no preasure there. I will not start doing that until I have the info and knowledge I need. Also in conclusion. I use the rebel xti at the games or the 30d. I dont expect to know how to use them all completly by then. I will use the 30d because that is the one I have used the most.

Sorry for the confusion!!

Hope you guys can offer some assistance.

Thnx again

WOW!!

30D, 40D, 5D, and a 1DmkIII inbound ... no "L" lens?

WOW!!

30D, 40D, 5D, and a 1DmkIII inbound ... no "L" lens?

I agree here sounds like more money than kowledge. I think what you really need here instead af all those bodies is some decent glass. I am not even sure you have enugh glass for all the bodie you do have. Probably the best thing for you to so is sell a couple of the bodies you do have andbuy some decent glass.

First of all welcome to TPF! Glad to have you join, I hope you stay for a long while.

Okay, I'm no photo pro but I do have a small photography business so let me see how I can help you. First you really need 1 main body and 1 backup body.
The same body that you use to take those b-ball group shots can be the same one you use to take the model pix as long as you know how to use your camera to change setting to get your desired effect.
If you haven't read your manual for the camera you choose to use, then start now. Read and practice to get familiar with where buttons are, what they are used for, and why. This will help you know when to use them.
I don't know if you have ever done portraits before, you may want to start there. When doing portraits you need to know your camera, understand your lighting and then know your angles. It sounds like you are planning to use models for you hair mag. Models are going to need direction and that is going to have to come from you as to what you need form them.

In regards to editing software, I got lucky. My wife is a graphic artist so she has taught me a lot about photoshop and such. You are either going to need to take classes or do books or online tutorials. Either way it is not cheep, easy or quick it all going to take time.

I like your idea and enthusiasm, but if you don't know your camera you are not ready to start "business"
if you don't know your lighting and poses, you are not ready to start "business".

I hope this has helped more than hurt.

........The sports photos are simple still not to mucy creativity to that.. .....

:confused: ....... What a relief! Here I was thinking all along that sports photography was difficult.

Just one question (okay maybe 2) Why so dang much gear?

With all that money spent, why no "monster" glass? Esp. for sports?

Oh yeah one more thing ... why "hot" lights and not studio flash?

BTW - you are asking questions that do not have concrete answers. If you want to learn how to set your camera for each situation - read the owners manual that came with it. That will help you use the pre-programed settings to take generic pics.

There is one other way to learn .............

Become familiar with your equipment, study the work of others, practice, take risks, practice, study theory, practice, strive for improvement, practice, submit work for critique, practice.......

Well you get the idead.......:wink:

.................... Jim

First lesson you need to learn:

Making a living out of photography has just as much to do with Business (and Marketing) as it does with photography itself. Some would even argue that it is actually MORE Business than photography. There are lots of wonderful and broke photographers as well as wealthy but mediocre photographers out there. The biggest difference (from what I can see) is the business decisions made (or being made on behalf of) a particular photographer.

Your original post does not address nor attempts to discuss either... it is very equipment specific. In fact, MOST professionals started it with WAY less equipment than you.

My advice is to first learn basic marketing and business. i know it sounds boring but in the long run (assuming this is a long term plan/wish for you) you will be much better off.

My second bit of advice is to find and take courses in photography. Nothing helps jump start a career like hands-on instructor based lessons. My local community college has classes in business, marketing, AND photography technology. This makes it extremely convenient. Perhaps there are similar offerings in your area.

NOw.... since your original post IS equipment oriented.... (which is the least important factor in starting this business)

* Sell everything (including the 5D) and get the 1d MarkIII.
* Sell all your lenses and invest into some nice lenses. Sports photography is THE MOST equipment demanding speciality to get into. You will need some expensive fast telephotos. My personal choice would be something like this:
- 1d MarkIII
- 16-35 f2.8
- 70-200mm f2.8 IS
- 400mm f2.8L IS
- Monopod.
* If you have a backup camera (perhaps keeping your 30D) that camera would be married to the 16-35mm f2.8 and strapped to my chest for a quick draw. The main 1d markIII would alternate between the 70-200 and the 400mm.

(If you haven't figured it out already... almost nothing in your list is really ideal for sports photography... you'd be an idiot for putting any of those low-end lenses on such a nice camera body as the 1d MIII)

* Sell all your lenses and invest into some nice lenses. Sports photography is THE MOST equipment demanding speciality to get into. You will need some expensive fast telephotos. My personal choice would be something like this:
- 1d MarkIII
- 16-35 f2.8
- 70-200mm f2.8 IS
- 400mm f2.8L IS
- Monopod.
* If you have a backup camera (perhaps keeping your 30D) that camera would be married to the 16-35mm f2.8 and strapped to my chest for a quick draw. The main 1d markIII would alternate between the 70-200 and the 400mm.

Agreed! You might also want to check out the 100-400 f/4-5.6L IS, great for sports.

But seriously, you need some better glass.

Nope... for SERIOUS sports photography as a BUSINESS... the 100-400 just simply won't cut it. It is geared for the wildlife photographer who needs to augment their walk around lens with something long but still in a packable compact size. I fall into this category thus carry the 24-105L and the 100-400L. I've long sold 4 primes, 24-70f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8 IS, and several nice high end primes after I "realizing" and "accepting" my needs. (Primes are now shot on a rangefinder instead).

For someone just interested in shooting sports photography (not as a business), the 100-400L will do just fine with higher ISO. BUT you'll loose your business to other photographers that are more well equipped with the proper skills. As I said... it is more about business. If one guy shoots a wonderful touchdown on a tac sharp 400mm f2.8L at ISO 400 and you shoot the same at 1600 ISO with the 100-400L, guess who will have their photo sold to the magazine? Remember... you are there with dozens of other photographers shooting the same events... you have to make your stuff stand out as the best. (this is also assuming that the OP has some serious cash available as an investment... from his posting it sure looks like it but just invested in the wrong places).

I just realized that in past threads, I have always recommended the 100-400L as a great lens which can seem like i'm "wishywashy". Please note that it is a great lens... but a recommendation to a enthusiast or amateur is vastly different from recommendations to support a photography business.

For example, no amateur is going to be happy lugging around tons of equipment BUT a paid professional is willing to break their back to get that one photo that will pay off.

Just clearing that up.

Meh. I agree and disagree. I shoot surfing, and have never had light be an issue with getting a shot. I usually shoot between 10am and 4pm, so I have to stuggle with the right light, but not in finding light.

I do agree though that, in general and in this case probably, you would want the faster prime (for obvious reasons), but is not needed for what I shoot.

I think you should focus more on your camera and how it operates more then all that equipment.

First lesson you need to learn:

Making a living out of photography has just as much to do with Business (and Marketing) as it does with photography itself. Some would even argue that it is actually MORE Business than photography. There are lots of wonderful and broke photographers as well as wealthy but mediocre photographers out there. The biggest difference (from what I can see) is the business decisions made (or being made on behalf of) a particular photographer.

Your original post does not address nor attempts to discuss either... it is very equipment specific. In fact, MOST professionals started it with WAY less equipment than you.

My advice is to first learn basic marketing and business. i know it sounds boring but in the long run (assuming this is a long term plan/wish for you) you will be much better off.

My second bit of advice is to find and take courses in photography. Nothing helps jump start a career like hands-on instructor based lessons. My local community college has classes in business, marketing, AND photography technology. This makes it extremely convenient. Perhaps there are similar offerings in your area.

NOw.... since your original post IS equipment oriented.... (which is the least important factor in starting this business)

- 1d MarkIII
- 16-35 f2.8
- 70-200mm f2.8 IS
- 400mm f2.8L IS
- Monopod.

(If you haven't figured it out already... almost nothing in your list is really ideal for sports photography... you'd be an idiot for putting any of those low-end lenses on such a nice camera body as the 1d MIII)

I want to clearify when I say sports Photography I am referring to taken team still's and not so much in action. I do, however take photos when i am at the games but usually sitting in the top of the stands because I also video record which is the main thing I do there. As for business, I have rean a business for several years and dont need help there which is why I did not talk here about that. I have direct marketers for the salon's that will start once I have it all together and am ready for business. I have an AAU team which is how we will advirtise to our competition and the schools locally ect for team photo's not to mean our own photos. I am not trying to make a living here so much but enhance my income. a new business. The goal for the mag is to have 40-60 of the over 1000 salon's advertise in the mag per quarter. then have a dist of at least 2-5k mag's I do only use the rebel xti and 30d for now. The 1D is back ordered so I am not sure when I will have it. I do intent to invest in better lenses and thanks so much for the advise. I am working on classes (hands on for the camera) and need any advise you guys can offer. I will do commercials ect for my companies I am good at marketing believe me. that is not the problem and my product is a niche product and that makes it even better. I just have to get the other part done. I will take you advise and welcome again any more...

Thnx so much

Ah... so more along the lines of portraits of the teams themselves?

If so... then your business has more in common with wedding photographers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back