Newbie: Want to learn tricks and hints.

I'm 18 and shoot with an S20 Pro.
If you skateboarders can suspend your disdain for rollerblading for a moment, here are some of my skate pics...

ashunity.jpg

ashaofish.jpg

stevebackslidecarparkrail.jpg

dannyfrickinbomb.jpg

Oh, and in answer to your original question, I'd recommend www.shortcourses.com/using . It's what I learnt with.

1st, 3rd and 4th shots i like, the second onei s a little to busy for me. This is a photography forum- im looking at the photos mainly not the fact that its blading. Most bladers are usually pretty nice guys anyway.

They were both taken with my S5500- do you have any examples of you shtos cbay?

Not @ moment, i lost all my photos with a HDD failure about a week ago, but going to a downhill competition this weekend hopefully to take a few hundred pics so i will place some on here for ya....

The exposure's great and the timing's perfect. I'd have liked to have been able to see his face (or at least the front of his helmet), but I appreciate that it wouldn't really have been possible for this shot. Good work. Have you experimented with cropping this pic a bit? Sometimes a creative crop can turn a good picture into a great one. Have a play around and see what you can come up with.

ksmattfish said:
Try to find a local camera/photography club. I know my local photo club is very open to beginners and age doesn't matter. Getting a chance to check out other photogs' techniques and equipment is always fun and you might learn something.

How did you go about finding a local photography club? I would be interested in something like that but am not sure where to begin looking.

Try some skypics..I did alot of sunsetphotography in the beginning and it really helps to develop your photographical eye.
If possible, try to put some "ground" to your skypics..like a silhouette church for instacµnce.

Here you see the first pic that I was really proud of myself. I added some ground cause the light on the trains was very nice.

Sundownandpowerlines.jpg

Dweller said:
How did you go about finding a local photography club? I would be interested in something like that but am not sure where to begin looking.

If you can't find one, you can always find inspiration froml professional photographers. Or find the ambition to study photography..maybe one of your friends studies that but you don't know it.

Some more tips and tricks:

Try to get alot of different angles on everything you shoot, they can either make or break your shot. Angles depend on the shape of the object and the light...eg: you would stand at the bottom of a big basilique and shoot upward..in some cases the effect would be nice. You can also stand next to it and shoot from a shifted angle. But if the sun is shining right onto the lens, your photo won't be that good, unless you use some filters or a film with a low sensitivity.

Photoshop can also "pimp" your pic a little. Many people are against it but alot of photographers use it these days. It had really become a part of photography. Don't buy it, it costs ****loads of money...I'm sure there are some ripped versions online.

Sharpness in a pic is essential..unless if it's something abstract. A sharp pic or object in a pic is simply lovely to look at. Don't be afraid to try macro shots.

Good luck

I'm not sure that aspiring to be paperazzi in the UK is a good idea. From what I understand they're planning a whole new raft of privacy laws, tied in with human rights legislation, that's going to all but put paperazzi out of business in this country.

Most people i knwo dont really enjoy photo clubs, they usually seem to find the people in them to be good photographers but not friendly, and thsi serems to be a general thing with all photographers, although i guess that includes themselves then if they are stereotyping themselves. I have a photog friend who i go shooting with a lot, its fun for the shooting part except that if i spot something god hes going to want to shoot it as well and the same if he spots something. There is a comp runig at the moment and after id put my images in, he wanted help selecitng something of his to enter, i didnt want to tell ihm hwqich ones were really good because i wanetd to win :) standard competition i guess, but when i saw it in the shop the other day and just that damn! that is so good i didnt really care that it was better than mine. I guessphotog is more an individual thing.

Ill try and get a hold of his entry because it is really good and i know hed like to get some comments

Most reactions

Back