Newbie with T4i needs help

crotonmark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all
Total newbie to photography. Bought the T4i and was wondering if there are any books ou would recommend to help me learn digital photography.
From the beginning. Exposure, framing shots, etc.

Can anyone help?
Mark

I am new to photography too and got my T4i a few months ago. This quick start guide was useful and still refer back to it. The tuts at Lynda.com by Ben Long are very good for the foundations of photography. Reading the critiques on this forum helps too. But, with all of that still very confused & overwhelmed. I hear it takes 10,000 hours or maybe photos??? At any rate, sweat equity when learning anything new.

Quick start guide:
Canon T4i / 650D Experience - The First User's Guide for the Canon Rebel T4i / EOS 650D

crotonmark said:
And what is the best way to learn to shoot in manual?

Experiment, study it, practice in multiple different areas and work on getting faster. That's how I did it

Oh, and I stole some packets from my past photography teacher. I recommend you doing the same if you can get away with it :)

Understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson is a great book that can teach a lot

thank you
what makes it so good?
It is very well put, making it easy to understand, not just bouncing numbers at you. It has may tips and tricks and generally is very well regarded source. This book has a few "rules" of exposure that will allow you to get the best out of your camera in most situations

thank you
what makes it so good?
It is very well put, making it easy to understand, not just bouncing numbers at you. It has may tips and tricks and generally is very well regarded source. This book has a few "rules" of exposure that will allow you to get the best out of your camera in most situations

Thanks again. Any others?

Scott kelbys digital photography was great. Has three volumes. Good read and easy to understand.

Start by reading the camera's user's manual. It explains what features, functions, and capabilities your T4i has available for helping you do photography.
Be sure you become familiar with the cameras focus modes, focus area modes, and metering modes.

Here is an online resource that has some pretty good tutorials - Digital Photography Tutorials

I usually recommend the Bryan Peterson book: "Understanding Exposure" as a great beginner book to teach you the mechanics of getting a shot (how to operate the camera and get the exposure right.)

Since you asked about framing, I'd suggest (but not until you get the basics down), Michael Freeman's "The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better digital Photos"

Most reactions

Back