Newborn family portrait session

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Braineack, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Did their engagement, wedding, and now first born.

They really wanted to start with a few outdoors, I wish we did all indoors... didn't get a chance to get all the shots I wanted to try with them before baby was done for the day.

[​IMG]
    DSC_5294
    by Braineack, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_5308
    by Braineack, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_5319-2
    by Braineack, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_5324
    by Braineack, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_5333
    by Braineack, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_5351
    by Braineack, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_5402
    by Braineack, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_5658
    by Braineack, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_5671
    by Braineack, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_5685
    by Braineack, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_5735
    by Braineack, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_5779
    by Braineack, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_5791
    by Braineack, on Flickr

full set can be found here: J & P - Kaylin Mae Dannaher

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  2. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Nice set with some really great poses, that will be cherished by the parents. Only negative is the the new Mom's yellow skin, which I suspect is from childbirth. Same thing happened to my ex after the birth of my son.

3. Braineack

Photos OK to edit
    I've had this issue with all her pictures, I think it's the tanner she uses... And he's naturally red so if I correct for one it makes the other worse.

This session also sealed the deal that I'll probably never try speedlights outdoors again. I was firing one at 1/2 power and it was simply taking way too long to recycle. I later got smart and added a second and ran them both at 1/4, but still. Also annoyed I forgot my light meter so I had to light based on the preview, and I accidentally bumped the f-stop from where I set it for the background so it's not as dark as I wanted -- overall I feel like they are too lit.

Indoors I used my XPLOR 600 with my c-stand through a 32" round softbox to mimic natural light -- I was much happier in this environment with this flash. But like I said, I was a little bummed Baby was done because I had a few more poses in mind, and wanted to capture a few candid-esque shots as well, like looking at her in the crib, etc.

bonus, their house is FILLED with my shots:

upload_2019-7-14_10-15-41.png

4. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    Mask, mask, baby! LOL

I'm always amazed at prior to the shoot I can think of ALL the things I need to do, but once there, I have a LOT of momentary brain farts. :biggrin-93:

I didn't spend much time, put in a levels layer, did a selection of just her face to create a mask, then adjusted the Red, Green, Blue, and finally the RGB to get close. Could probably use some refining, but the method works. Should be able to do close to the same with an adjustment brush in Lr, just seems easier Ps.
    48280298192_7a075396c9_b.jpg

Edit: forgot to mention the wall display of wedding photos using all square crops is absolutely brilliant!!!

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Some really nice poses. Agreed with smoke, her skin is super yellow, and his effort at correcting it with the mask really does improve things quite a bit.

If your speed light's recycling is too slow, the easiest answer is an ancillary battery pack, either a Quantum battery or one of the inexpensive made in China eight AA cell batteries.

6. Braineack

Photos OK to edit
    Looking again I see it's pretty bad. Went through and adjusted and I'm going to re-upload. So for anyone else wondering, this is the comparison of the edits:

upload_2019-7-14_16-9-10.png

upload_2019-7-14_16-9-45.png

7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    These look a lot better

8. Braineack

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks!

9. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    Much better. To me the bottom right corner one is the choice, but then again, I've been color grading a set today and all the colors are starting to all run together, so I might not be a good judge right now.

10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Slow flash recycling is very typical with manual fractional power settings like half power or quarter power. Sometimes it is possible to set the flash in what is known as Auto Thyristor mode, although in recent years it has come to be known as A mode or auto mode or Aperture mode. Basically one sets the flash to say F4,and the sensor in the flash squelches the flash burst once it has received back enough light for an f/4 aperture at the ISO that has been set on the flash. This is different from TTL flash, and is a much older protocol. On old flashes that were really good quality, they would often have three or four "auto f-stops "

With something powerful like say a Quantum Turbo battery, I would expect most modern speedlights would recycle in less than 1/2 second at half power.

In the last year or so there have been a couple of Quantum-like battery packs that have come to the market (Quantum was one of the first companies to use a fairly large, powerful Gel
    cell lead acid battery),and I still see some eight 1.5 V AA cell auxiliary batteries that are sold for affordable prices on eBay and Amazon.

Around 1985 I bought a Quantum Battery One, which has two outlets to power two speedlights, and this unit still works some 30 years later,much to my amazement. About every six months or less I charge it up. In 1987 I bought a Quantum Turbo battery which gave out within 10 years. The Turbo was a much faster and more powerful battery, but like I said, it quit working years and years ago, and I was never very happy with its size and weight.

You are correct though,speed lights are kind of a pain in the butt compared to studio oriented monolight type flash unitswhen you need to speed.Speed light flashes are designed for a flash shot every 10 to 30 seconds, while studio oriented lights are aimed at delivering a full power flash every three seconds or so.

11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I looked through the full set on your proof gallery, and you have some really lovely poses and great pictures. I really like the black-and-white shot of the babies feet being cradled in the hands of both the mom and the dad. That is a very evocative image and it looks spectacular in black-and-white.

The display of the 12 pictures you took at the wedding is really nice. I like the way they have made Square images which have been matted and framed and wall-mounted. It's a really nice cross section of the wedding.

12. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Very creative and nicely done, especially after the skin tweak. Have to say this is one genre I've never dabbled in (and have NO desire to).