Newborn Session C&C

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, did a newborn session today with a little girl who's dad is a marine. The family is super thrilled with the photos, and I like them for the most part. Just wondering what you guys think of them. How can I improve in the future?

Baby was very uncooperative and only slept for about 5 minutes out of the two hour shoot.

1.)
Keech-20-XL.jpg

2.)
Keech-21-XL.jpg

3.) Not thrilled with this one, but dad loves it.
Keech-3-XL.jpg

4.)
Keech-22-XL.jpg

I'm not as skilled at this as you are, so I can't help with improvements if needed. I just had to say these are great.. thanks for sharing.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Nicely done; great from the technical side. The only one I don't like is #2; it reminds me too much of the placement of military head-dress on a coffin....

I like these photos, and think that you did a good job of propping them, styling, and lighting. These look just a little bit more "crisp" than many people have been lighting similar photos for the last few years--and to me, that is a GOOD thing! My favorite is the first shot...I just LOVE the photo!~

Nicely done; great from the technical side. The only one I don't like is #2; it reminds me too much of the placement of military head-dress on a coffin....

I hadn't thought of that reference, nor am I super familiar with the tradition. But I understand why having it remind you of that would make you not like it. I hope that the dad doesn't see it that way.

I like these photos, and think that you did a good job of propping them, styling, and lighting. These look just a little bit more "crisp" than many people have been lighting similar photos for the last few years--and to me, that is a GOOD thing! My favorite is the first shot...I just LOVE the photo!~

Thanks! The first one is by far my favorite as well. Something about the perfect roundness of the basket makes it appeal to my eye.

Very nice, I also agree with the Dad on #3, though I'm not a fan of the tilt (personal thing). #1 I really like, the only nit I have is with the carpet (again personal opinion). Other than that, I suspect the parents are quite proud of them.

I think these are gorgeous! Newborn photos are so hard, because it's so rare to get an opportunity to practice. I haven't been able to take any for so long, but I've been studying up lately because my sister is about to become a godmother (hopefully this month!)

A couple of things: As far as getting the baby to sleep, it helps to have the room uncomfortably warm. Space heaters are great too. White noise is also really helpful for some babies, you can download free apps on your phone. And swaddling the baby can be really helpful, most newborns love the cozy feeling of swaddling.

The only real nitpick I have is the posing. She has sort of limp wrists in some of them. With newborns, you have to gently guide them into the pose you want and then hold them there and wait for them to relax into it. This is for sleeping, of course...you can try the same thing when they're awake, but they're just as likely to pop right out of it. It can help to watch videos of newborn photographers at work, because they all behave very similarly. Slow, smooth movements, keeping their hands covering as much of the baby's body as they can at a time, almost simulating the womb as they position them. That's how they get the little fingers gripping the edge of the blanket or tucked under the head.

Anyway, I do love the posing in the last one, it just feels like the lighting is a bit different? Not sure how, it just seems like it's feathered differently somehow and isn't as pleasing as some of the others.

Anyway, these are just tiny things. The photos are beautiful, I would have been thrilled if this had been my child. :)

Be careful following advice from videos - just because someone has a camera doesn't mean they're demonstrating proper positioning for the child's age.

In the future place the child in something large enough to allow leg movement (if you want to know why look up hip dysplasia). If you want to use swaddling learn how to do so properly - loose enough to allow movement and use soft baby blankets. (Dr. Sears comes to mind but can't think of the hospital or website but he does a wonderful demo.) I can look up a couple of resources.

First one is the best. Next time maybe place the hat on something behind the basket so it's not on the baby - that may be why the feet are tucked up so awkwardly, the baby may have been uncomfortable.

I wouldn't overheat a baby, that's not such a great thing to do, but a warm room probably would be fine. Only do for taking pictures what would be appropriate for the child in any circumstance.

Last edited:
Be careful following advice from videos - just because someone has a camera doesn't mean they're demonstrating proper positioning for the child's age.

In the future place the child in something large enough to allow leg movement (if you want to know why look up hip dysplasia). If you want to use swaddling learn how to do so properly - loose enough to allow movement and use soft baby blankets. (Dr. Sears comes to mind but can't think of the hospital or website but he does a wonderful demo.) I can look up a couple of resources.

First one is the best. Next time maybe place the hat on something behind the basket so it's not on the baby - that may be why the feet are tucked up so awkwardly, the baby may have been uncomfortable.

I wouldn't overheat a baby, that's not such a great thing to do, but a warm room probably would be fine. Only do for taking pictures what would be appropriate for the child in any circumstance.

1.) The child's movement was never restricted, her feet were easily able to extend over the end of the basket.

2.) Placing a child in a position of restricted movement for less than 5 minutes will not cause hip dysplasia. They spend their entire time in the womb in a quite restricted position, and it's called the "fetal position" for a reason. It's restricted movement chronically that is *suspected* to cause hip dysplasia, but the exact causes are still not well understood.

3.) The hat weighs about nothing and had no effect on the baby's position. She was in that exact position, asleep and comfortable, before the hat was placed there. Baby's sleep in strange positions just like you and I. Funny looking positions are often part of the baby's personality, and don't neccesrily mean they are uncomfortable. If a baby is uncomfortable, they will let you know.

4.) Almost every professional newborn shooter sets up a space heater. Newborns like being MUCH warmer than you or I. Remember, they just came out of a womb that was 98.6 degrees on average. To have a baby naked and exposed to room air could easily cause them to be uncomfortable and even cause hypothermia. The space heater is a MUST for this type of photography.

I love #1. It looks like she's creeping up on someone on her tip-toes in her dreams. :D

Nice set! I love the ones you got. Did you get any with mom and dad? That would be my critique :) Gotta get mom & dad in the pics!

Nice set! I love the ones you got. Did you get any with mom and dad? That would be my critique :) Gotta get mom & dad in the pics!

That's planned for spring time outdoors. The limited space in their home made that almost impossible, and I don't have a studio.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back