Newborn Skin check

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So the top picture is basically out of camera, all I did was a floor fade, adjusted some stuff in LR.

Then I noticed how red/magenta the baby is, grrrrrrrr! how does the edit look?

f3f58j.jpg

I like the first one more. The baby looks really and alive in the first one. Although if you hadn't posted both i would have proboly never thought anything was odd about the second pic. I think it might also look better cropped up just a little tighter on the blanket and basket. Just my $ .02 . I Really like the postition of the baby and the blanket and basket, its very warm and inviting.

Infant skin coloring can vary quite a bit, depending on how warm the baby is...newborns do not have just "one" color of skin...it's all over the map for the first few weeks of life.

I think somewhere inbetween would look better.

I lean more towards the first one also. The 2nd one is nice, but the body looks a bit orangish. It's a lovely photo, though.

When you are having problem with the tone, turn it to b&w. Thats my philosophy LOL JK.

I'm going w/ the first one too.

oops you gave the baby jaundice! Somewhere between the original and the second is where you want to be.

I agree. It seems a little greenish yellow. Somewhere in between, but definitely tweak the red levels around to soften it up. Great shot, though!

I would also go somewhere in between and crop much tighter.

what color is the background?

Good question. The fleece the baby is lying on was probably white or pretty close to white. In the original it is not white. If you check sample RGB values for the fleece in the original it reads clearly red shifted. It's closer to white in the edit.

Derrel is correct that baby skin color is more variable than adults. The tendency is toward red. In the original the sRGB Hue value for the baby's left cheek is 2. That's really red. In the edit that same left cheek has an sRGB Hue value of 12 which is still red compared to the average adult. Average adult sRGB Hue values are high teens to low twenties. So I'd say your edit is very accurate. That doesn't mean it's what people will like best, but your edit is more true to life than the original. You might try the same color balance as in the edit but with a slight saturation increase.

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back