Newest Self Portrait!!!

MichaelMigz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. Heres my latest self portrait. I think im getting better with lighting but id like to hear everyones input. thanks in advacne!

1)
1065103395_f15f14fd01_b.jpg

i guess i dont quite understand the whole sitting on the toilet, ipod thing going on.... but otherwise, its pretty cool... a chair would be better in my oppinion

to be quite honest, it was a rainy day and i got to thinking aout portraits... what i wanted was a clean picture. no stuff, you know? like a chair and then just have like a record player on the floor with the cord leading to the headphones which would be on my head....

unfortunatly, i dont have a room in my house that i couldve achieved that.

so i guess you could say this is compromise...haha

lol, ic, well, nice shot anyway i spose, just not the GREATEST setting

I would say A for effort :)

I like that your thinking outside the box, creating a clean background and using the headphones to breakup the image, and utilizing the window lighting to make light with creating highlights on the face.

While I realize you where working with what you had on a rainy day, this is what I would try for a re-shoot, the toilets a little odd (unless that was your intention, but doesnt seem that way) and the picture behind your head catches your eyes first, not the face.

If your going for a clean background your going to have to find a new background...Take a walk around the city and look for some cool backgrounds, keeping lighting in mind.

One thing that comes to mind, an alley in between two brick buildings, the can bounce some very warmish light that looks great. Sit down against one of the walls and set up your headphones like you did with this photo, you might want to bring them up some too, even better try the rule of thirds for placing the headphones and you face. Try to find a spot that will light one side of you face brighter than the other, just like you where doing above. Depending on the alley and your lens you may need to have the camera like 45deg to you instead of straight on. If you where on an angle like that you could also try and open up your aperture to blur the bricks away from you

anyway i'll stop rambling but hopefully it got you thinking up some ideas :)

I agree with other peoples' comments about the location of the shot, but I really like the lighting, the composition, and the idea behind it! :)

As a beginner to photography, could you explain how you went about creating the lighting, as I would like to learn more on taking self-portraits?

thanks so much for your help adam! i like your ideas as well.

mark- i just used an off camera flash and bounced it off of the walls. as you can see my bathroom is completely white so the light bounced all over the place...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back