Next Big Meet-up?

I wouldn't be flying out of NYC - it'd be Atlanta+ a connecting flight since that's the closest international airport and even then that's a solid 8hr drive from here.

:er:

I suppose that if I lived further north you'd be correct though.

Atlanta is not bad ... I had many flights to or through Atlanta to and from Europe.

But you are right, it always depends on how far you live from the nearest international airport.

Atlanta is not bad ... I had many flights to or through Atlanta to and from Europe.

But you are right, it always depends on how far you live from the nearest international airport.

I guess that's why we're fortunate over here. The airports are relatively close to eachother. Within 5 hours' drive, I can reach about 10, I'd guess.

add another few hours to that and you can reach any point in the UK!

add another few hours to that and you can reach any point in the UK!

Indeed! But 5 hours is the most I can manage in a day before going insane and getting a very numb bum.

It wouldn't be so bad if I had something to do on the bike; as it stands, it's just me and the road, with some wind noise and occasional nice scenery. Time doesn't exactly fly :(

But anyway, Manchester is under an hour away, and you can fly anywhere from there. Hoorah!

Spring Bank Holiday next year is 25 May 2009 (Monday).
This is usually when Exton street market is held, but they haven't updated their site yet.
As it has happened every year for the 20 or more years I have lived in Rutland I can't see it not happening.
So we will work on the basis of this meet up starting from 23 May 2009 (Saturday) and going on for as long as people wish to stay.
I'll take the week off.
There is lots of accommodation in and around Rutland ranging from campsites up to outrageously expensive multiple starred hotels.
B&Bs are plentiful and there may even be cottages to let.
I posted a link with accommodation earlier in the thread.
If we are going to do this then you need to sort out where you are staying as early as you can because Rutland is quite a popular tourist spot.

The train station is on the Stansted Airport/Birmingham line and goes through Peterborough, Nuneaton and Leicester so rail connections to most parts of the country are pretty good.
And it means you can get to and from most airports reasonably easily (Stansted, Birmingham International, East Midlands, Luton, Gatwick, Heathrow in the order of easiest connection first).
The A1 runs through Rutland and there is an M1 link so road connections are pretty good (I can drive to London in less than 90 minutes).

The only problem is that a small group of rowdy inebriates is planning a meet-up in Blackpool around the same time....

No reason why both can't happen. They don't have to be at the exact same time and they are roughly 180 miles apart (using major roads and avoiding the Mancs).

I'll mark it down but will probably only be able to get there for one day.

i still want to do this one

I made the mistake of being too optimistic for the Germany meet-up. I will do everything I can to make this one work, but I'll have to chalk myself up as a maybe just to be on the safe side.

I'd prefer a B&B or inn, personally. I've done some poking around on the 'net ( eg. here and here), and may bounce some of the names off you in case you know of them

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back