Night shooting HELP!! LOLOLOL

You should really take the time to learn the basic manual controls. Once you do, you will never forget because it's like riding a bike. You will be much happier with your results in the future once you understand how the camera operates.

If it's a troll I've seen better. If not the reason everything but the subject is in focus in your first pic is because it's not the focus that is a problem it's the shutter speed. Your subject is moving causing it to look out of focus.

It's either focus can't keep up in the dark conditions or you have the camera focus set up wrong

Like I said I run FULL auto 98% of the time.

Thats the problem, camera is in control and not you

VERY true but until these night shots started to haunt me I never had a reason to do anything but full auto, the results are amamzing in good light, just the night is real bad.

I had a friend set my ISO up to the highest setting and that didn't do a thing to the night shots.

I just plain old do not have the time to learn this camera to this extent for a few shots I was just hoping someone on here may know a quick setting lineup that I could use and have better results?

I shot action night "MAYBE" 40 pics a year. Literally.

Heres the Pinks Gallery in it's entirety here:

gsgary !!!!!

Quit feeding the TROLL! :lmao:

Troll? Are you for real man? get a life bro. Im here just trying to LEARN how to better with my night shots. Learn from your Parents, "If you do not have anything nice to say, shut your hole"

I guess I found the board "tool" a real fast way in here, huh?

I was sent here by about 30 different people when asking about this on our other three car message boards, then I have to be treated like this after I show up asking legit questions in the beginners forum? Get bent dude.

Now back the subject at hand. Does anyone know a quick sure fire setting list I could please have to shoot these few pics this coming Sat.?

If it's a troll I've seen better. If not the reason everything but the subject is in focus in your first pic is because it's not the focus that is a problem it's the shutter speed. Your subject is moving causing it to look out of focus.

No troll here supraman215 I assure you of that. So is the Nikon D50 spent then as far as ISO settings go. Since my friend "said" he set it to the fastest speed which if I remember correctly was 800?

Last edited:

No troll here supraman215 I assure you of that. So is the Nikon D50 spent then as far as ISO settings go. Since my friend "said" he set it to the fastest speed which if I remember correctly was 800?

it'll go to 1600 troll.

Just buy a more expensive camera, seems to be the only thing you're willing to do.

Then he was wrong or I misunderstood him TOOL! Whats your deal here people? I come in and introduce myself on the Welsome section, then come in here and ask legit questions about something that I need help with (which supposedly this forum is for) then I get nothing but crap? Why, please do tell.

Do you people even know what a troll means?

Here let me google that for you.

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2] In addition to the offending poster, the noun “troll” can also refer to the provocative message itself, as in that was an excellent troll you posted. While the term troll and its associated action, trolling, are primarily associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels highly subjective, with 'trolling' being used to describe many intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context.

Forget about full auto it is a waste of time only good for snap shots, nobody can give you a list of setting without seeing the conditions, if you pan the shot you can get away from using high ISO's and use a slower shutter speed like this
1/20 http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Wolds-Rally-2007/Image00104/191658964_pmEzb-L.jpg

Forget about full auto it is a waste of time only good for snap shots, nobody can give you a list of setting without seeing the conditions, if you pan the shot you can get away from using high ISO's and use a slower shutter speed like this
1/20 http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Wolds-Rally-2007/Image00104/191658964_pmEzb-L.jpg

Thanks for the info and link Gary. I have shot like that in the past at events, heres a couple of examples.

geezer20.jpg

mg1.jpg

I LOVE that type of shot but my only angle for shootig this particular even is the PINKS positioning, front 3/4.

As has been said, there is no magic lineup to try because the setting will depend on the available light. Typically for night action in low light you need lenses with a large fixed aperture (2.8 or better) or High ISO. Actually, both would be nice!

Rent a 200 f/2, or 70-200 2.8. Your current lens is probably maximum 5.6 or smaller aperture depending on focal length. A 2.8 lens will let in TWICE as much light or more. So I think if you could rent a lens, you will get your shutter speed up and have a better chance of keeping your ISO at 800 or lower. I am not familiar with the D50 though and what ISO you can go up to and still have acceptable noise.

To start, I would go with:
- Aperture of 2 or 2.8 depending on lens
- Aperture priority
- ISO 800, just be sure to expose properly using exposure compensation dial then use noise reduction in post processing.

Most reactions

Back