Night shots (C&C welcome)

Samriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Three night shots. The first one I took a while ago during a windy night on the riverside, the other two I took recently at the seaside close to my home. I increased the saturation of the first one, the contrast of the second one, and the third one is completely unprocessed. I do not like the third one so much, but some people liked it a lot, so I posted that one too. C&C welcome.

DSC_0425.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

I like the idea you had in mind when you took Photo 1 but I am convinced this would not have worked without the increase in colour saturation, this colour play on the water of the river would have been too subtle otherwise. Now it looks a bit like the Romanian flag :D.

The second is also very well taken.

And I am one of those to like the third because you got the moon - overexposed as had to be expected - in its natural white, it didn't turn yellow, and while you got that bright object in the sky and its reflection on the water, the lights of the city are still well exposed and nothing is too dark.

#1 is very nice. For me however #2 is ruined by the illusion that all of those "telephone" wires seem to connect to the object (Sorry, I know there's a correct name, but it escapes me). It would take a little effort, but I think cloning away those wires would be well worth it. #3 I like, the water is excellent, but there does seem to be a minor perspective issue in the background.

@Yahoozy

Thanks! (Although telling me what and why you liked about it might have helped me a bit more ;))

@LaFoto

You are right above the saturation... it just lacked a bit more impact without the it. And now that you actually mention it, it does look like the Romanian flag. You're also the first person to technically explain to me why you like #3, so I'm getting a better idea of what I'm doing right. Thanks for the comments.

@tiredon

You're probably right about the wires (welcome to Japan, the land of wires btw...), but I'm not much into cloning and "heavy" editing at the moment - I might reconsider it in the future. I maybe should have tried to take it so you can see the pole the wires connect to... but that might have introduced an unnecessary element... hmm,you gave me something to think about. Thanks for the comments!

@tiredon

You're probably right about the wires (welcome to Japan, the land of wires btw...), but I'm not much into cloning and "heavy" editing at the moment - I might reconsider it in the future. I maybe should have tried to take it so you can see the pole the wires connect to... but that might have introduced an unnecessary element... hmm,you gave me something to think about. Thanks for the comments!

Yes it would have added an element into the photo, but a necessary one. I have found the the best way to deal with wires is to give them a place in the photo away from the subject.

Yes it would have added an element into the photo, but a necessary one. I have found the the best way to deal with wires is to give them a place in the photo away from the subject.

The more I think about that, the more I think you're right. Thanks!

the first one just leaves something to be desired for me. although the second two are absolutely fantastic. i would not change a thing about the second. the third picture is very well composed although could probably benefit slightly from some levels tweaking to tone down the highlights and clone out that green dot in the water (too distracting).

keep up the night shooting!!

I love #3

Id that green thing a fishing light? Looks like it could be.

Does #3 need a horizon correction? Looks angled. I agree with what everyone else said on the others (especially like #2)... and yeah, what's with the green thingy? :)

Id that green thing a fishing light? Looks like it could be.

Bingo! There were quite a few guys fishing there the night, but I couldn't fit more of the fishing lights into the scene nicely. Would've liked to though.

manaheim said:
Does #3 need a horizon correction? Looks angled.

Yep, that seems to need some correction. I'm going to check out the scene once more today in daylight to see if it's maybe just a strange building... If not, I'll see to take some time and get a corrected version posted.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back