Night sky and fill flash = ....

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
LOVE the ghosting image!!!!

Yeh, cool technique to get the ghost. Definitely adding this one to my goodie bag.

Wow, thanks. This was pretty much for experimental purposes more than anything else, so I was happy to see that it actually worked. Now, if I spent some more time on the compositions and working out the best exposures, I could do something really kewl. Something to write down in the notebook! :)

These are neat images. Shows what can be done with a little imagination and soem creativity - good job. Just curious - how many "fill flashes" did you used in the building scenes?

WesternGuy

Thanks. Just used one, about 10 meters away (30 ft). Stood a little too close for the jump shot :)

are these multiple exposure shots? how many?

sactown024 said:
are these multiple exposure shots? how many?

One exposure. Fill flash on house and ground.

OK, share more about the technique... You DEFENETLY got me interested! Where did you place the flash? Is it a regular flash off camera? What are the photo settings? Where you triggering the flash mannually? I want details!

Good post,Anders! I really liked #2. And the last shot as well.

I can try to explain in a little more detail what I did, as some are interested :) I'm always happy to help with what limited knowledge I do possess! :)

I set the aperture to f/2.8, which is as wide as I can go on my Tokina 11-16/2.8. I wanted as much light as I could possibly gather with the lens, to get as much detail in the sky as possible. Secondly, I set the shutter time to thirty seconds. There's a two-point balance here, consisting of (1) the amount of light I want and (2) stars starting to "streak" due to a long exposure time. I chose thirty seconds, because I knew, from experience, that this is pretty much as long as I can go before the stars streak too much. You can see a tiny bit of streaking in the shots here, already. Thirty seconds gives me more light than, say, 20 seconds - I wanted to get as much light as possible.

The third thing I needed to decide, was the ISO. I chose ISO-800. Not too much noise, yet I get more detail from the light gathered (to say it like that). ISO-100 would give me "cleaner" shots, but with less detail in the sky.

Lastly, I had my flash. If I didn't use it, the light would be much, much darker (Image 1). I have an old Vivitar flash, on which power settings can't be directly changed. I just tried what it looked like from a certain distance, and just used that for all the shots. Seeing as the shutter speed was thirty seconds, I had plenty of time to move around to get the angle I wanted. In addition to this, I wouldn't really matter if I walked in the frame. I would be very dark, and ghost when I walked. If I stayed in the same place for long, then I might have appeared on the final image as some weird blurry shadow.

As for the angle I used, I chose one that didn't bring too many harsh shadows in the frame, either on the field or on the house itself. I made sure to be in front of the tripod, or else it would cast a shadow.

It's all just basic reflections of how light works in photography :) Maybe this helped some!

Image 1

Unedited RAW file converted to JPEG using Irfan View.

Most reactions

Back