nightime photoshoot

swmocity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
dont know if i should use a flash or not...if i use no flash then i would need a long shutter speed..yes i know...or should it be a faster shutter speed with the flash?

You'll have to provide a little more information. What you're shooting, where, type of equipement, etc.

You'll have to provide a little more information. What you're shooting, where, type of equipement, etc.
a friend of mine is the subject..in a park and also a shopping strip..im just going to use my kit 18-55 and my rebel...if i can find a good enough in store deal i will buy the canon 430ex flash tomorrow(hopefully)..if not ill stick with the pop up flash

Good luck finding the 430 ex, the ex II was released and the ex is discontinued.

As to the shoot, if you're doing action shots at all, you'll need the flash, if you are doing still portraits, the ambient light can look really interesting. Depends what you're doing, as the other poster said

With the kit lens and the amount of light it lets in, I sure hope your friend can stand still for a couple seconds and I sure hope you're not goint for a sharp shot

EDIT: Just noticed you have a 50mm 1.8. USE THAT!!

~Michael~

With the kit lens and the amount of light it lets in, I sure hope your friend can stand still for a couple seconds and I sure hope you're not goint for a sharp shot

~Michael~
And yeah, what they said :D

Good luck finding the 430 ex, the ex II was released and the ex is discontinued.

As to the shoot, if you're doing action shots at all, you'll need the flash, if you are doing still portraits, the ambient light can look really interesting. Depends what you're doing, as the other poster said
i guess the net is the only way i can get it...wats the diff. between the two?

~Michael~

because of the low aperture?...then i can make my shutter speed faster?

because of the low aperture?...then i can make my shutter speed faster?

Oh buddy!! Pop that baby on, set it to Av (Aperature Priority on your Canon) and stop it down to 1.8. That is a fast lens (although there are faster). That second number is like the iris of your eye. It opens and closes to change the amount of light into the eye [camera]. Its a little bit of an inverse though because the smaller the number, the larger that iris [aperature] becomes allowing for more light into the sensor and an increased shutter speed.

I shoot Nikon so I unfortunately can't answer the difference on the 430ex and the 430II. Sorry

I hope this helps you

~Michael~

Oh buddy!! Pop that baby on, set it to Av (Aperature Priority on your Canon) and stop it down to 1.8. That is a fast lens (although there are faster). That second number is like the iris of your eye. It opens and closes to change the amount of light into the eye [camera]. Its a little bit of an inverse though because the smaller the number, the larger that iris [aperature] becomes allowing for more light into the sensor and an increased shutter speed.

I shoot Nikon so I unfortunately can't answer the difference on the 430ex and the 430II. Sorry

I hope this helps you

~Michael~
thanks alot...one more question...1.8 has a shallow DOF but im trying to shoot full body pics and keep the whole body sharp...can this be done at 1.8

I SO disagree with a lot of the advice in this thread.

If you are using a flash, then 1st, shutter speed doesn't really matter regarding your subject being lit. At 1/60th versus 1/500th the subject will be lit the same and the flash will freeze any action.

The shutter speed is what you will use to balance the ambient. Set your aperture to whatever you want (I'd do closer to F8 since you might want some of the background lights in focus. Then (with the flash off, Meter the background to the look you want), then kick on the flash (use TTL if you choose) and snap. Now your subject will be lit by the flash (may want to adjust the flash exposure comp one way or another) and the shutter speed will be exposed for the background.

Edit: If you didn't catch this from my post.....you should be shooting full manual mode when using a flash. If you shoot aperture priority then you have no control over the ambient light's exposure and the camera decides for you. Shooting manual lets you decide how much background light will be in the scene. Faster shutter speed, less ambient light....slower for more.

If you are using a flash, then 1st, shutter speed doesn't really matter regarding your subject being lit. At 1/60th versus 1/500th the subject will be lit the same and the flash will freeze any action.

The shutter speed is what you will use to balance the ambient. Set your aperture to whatever you want (I'd do closer to F8 since you might want some of the background lights in focus. Then (with the flash off, Meter the background to the look you want), then kick on the flash (use TTL if you choose) and snap. Now your subject will be lit by the flash (may want to adjust the flash exposure comp one way or another) and the shutter speed will be exposed for the background.

Edit: If you didn't catch this from my post.....you should be shooting full manual mode when using a flash. If you shoot aperture priority then you have no control over the ambient light's exposure and the camera decides for you. Shooting manual lets you decide how much background light will be in the scene. Faster shutter speed, less ambient light....slower for more.
hmmm ok...so if i do use the flash...my shutter speed will be faster and will help reduce blur?..i will also use a tripod...i couldnt find the 430ex flash so ill have to use the pop up...in store prices and way high...another question...if i increase the flash exposure,does the camera include that in the meter...like does it know i have increased it?

Pop up had a range of about 12 feet as ISO 100. Please correct me someone. A 50 won't give you full body really. It's more for close up work. You could shoot farther away from the person.......

~Michael~

With what advice? The only stuff that had been said was if he did not wish to use the flash, the 50 1.8 would be the lens to use.... That's perfectly sound advice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back