Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 vs. Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 vs. Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6

NJKILLSYOU

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
not sure on which one of these to purchase. id like the 300mm reach but for the af-s version the price is significantly higher. im pretty sure, not positive, that the sigma and tamron will auto focus on my d40. (correct me if im wrong)

i just want to know which of these lenses you would purchase. i dont really care which is better for the money, just which is better.

thanks.

I have the Sigma you linked to. It's a pretty decent lens, and the "Macro" setting is pretty fun to play with. It's not a true macro, but fun nonetheless. It will focus on your D40, because if you look on the page for that lens is says built in motor. I have the same identical lens, and it AFs on my D40.

Example from the Sigma 70-300 and D40 combo:

3474597539_feb9fef0b8_b.jpg

Unless I missed it neither the Sigma or the Tamron have any kind of Image Stabilization. IMO with a lens of that length that is something you really need unless you'll only be using it from a tripod. The Nikon KMH linked does have VR and is a great lens.

im aware of the nikon 70-300, im also aware its more than twice the price of any of the lenses i asked about.

my question is more concerning whether the extra reach of the third party 70-300s would put them above the nikon lens. and if so, which of the two is the better lens.

i shoot mostly nature photos, and i dont want to be kicking myself for not going with the 300mm. but at the same time if the 55-200 is sharper at 200 than the 70-300 is at 300 and is better build quality, id take the 200 anyday.

and im not really worried about vr.

Last edited:
and im not really worried about vr.

As long as you have compared lenses with and without VR, fine. But I would never buy a lens w/a focal length of 200mm or more w/o VR unless it was going to be attached to a tripod. I just got my 70-300 Nikon and have done several tests w/the VR because I was curious if I could've gotten by w/the Sigma you are considering, and there is just no way I'd be happy w/it w/o a tripod. You will likely find yourself in the sub 1/60s shutter speed occasionally which means a lens w/o VR is going to blur. If $200 is your limit, I'd go w/the 200mm Nikon w/VR...reviews I've seen of it are very favorable.

I just snapped two pics @ 1/20s with and w/o VR @ 300mm. I accidentally had ISO set to 3200 b/c I had just finished low-light testing, but you get the idea.

4750398984_64cc46af1f_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back