Nikkor 55-200mm?!

OK two lenses that refuse to autofocus kind of points towards the camera being at fault. However I've been reading around and it seems that a common cause of this problem is that the lens is not properly attached. Remove the lens again, and then reattach the lens. However when reattaching do not hold the lens release button down, just keep twisting the lens until you hear it click into place.

I've noticed that when I hold the lens release button on my camera down I lose the autofocus options again. I suspect that the lens in this case may not be twisted far enough for the lens release to lock.

Good luck

I just tried what you said, it still doesn't work. My camera body and my 18-105 lens was working PERFECTLY fine until today when I put my 55-200mm lens in. It was then that I noticed the 55-200 didn't have the auto focus and originally, I thought it was the lens that had the issue. I then tried to switch back to my 18-105 and to my surprise, The autofocus isn't working now! I don't know what to do, I've tried cleaning it, attaching and reattaching it. I'm starting to panic!

OK final three things I can think of.

1 Move the "AF-M" switch on the side of the camera to "M" and then back to "AF". This switch appears to be in part linked to the lens release mechanism. It could be that this is not quite in postion.

2 Do a two button reset. For all his faults Ken Rockwell has an explanation of how to do it here

3 Remove the battery from the camera and leave it for a few minutes before reinserting and turning the camera back on again.

If none of this appears to be successful then I'm afraid it looks as if the camera will need to be serviced.

I shoot at the track often, I always use my 55-200 vr, if you want an easy way of doing it set your setting to sport. The lens should AF easily follow the bike with your camera and then go ahead of it a little then stop and hit the shutter when the bike hits the frame. It will definately take some practice to get the shot right I mean you won't always get the best shot right away but by lap 2 or 3 you should have it down pat. Like mentioned before hold the shutter half way down and it will AF guaranteed.

Slaphead, It was weird!! I left my battery out all night to charge for the track day and I took apart and reassembled everything on my d90 and my autofocus on BOTH lens worked. I swear there's a nikon pixie fairy or something, I don't know. But I'm so glad it works before I'm leaving for the track this morning! Thank you and everybody else for the prompt responses and help. I appreciate it, SOOOOOOO much!

Great news. Looking toward to seeing the shots. Re the battery thing. I've owned the D90 for over a year now and I've found that removing the battery occasionally (twice for me) seems to restore the camera to sanity again.

Good luck on the shoot, and enjoy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back