Nikkor 55-200mm?!

Southern Belle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there a way to continuously auto-focus on this lens? It's driving me nuts.

If I want to continually auto focus with mine I just keep the shutter release held half way down and it continuously auto focuses while I move or recompose.

But I need to take continuous shots as well. I'm going to the track, and this is the closest lens I got to take the distance.

Okay that one is a little more tricky. You can shoot continuously, but from my experience when you lose focus it will pause for moment to re focus. Or you can use a smaller aperture and manual focus and shoot away.

I'm shooting motorsports, so I won't have time to pause and refocus. I could barely do that with my running dog! lol

Then I would just use a small aperture. The more that is in focus the less you will have to focus.

I guess I would have to, or I'm not sure if I just want to bring my 18-105 vr. it has af-c. what do you think would be the best bet? I really need a new lens. like, a telephoto lens. )=

The 200 can get the job done at the track. You can try and pick your track points and pre focus on the area and wait for cars to move into that zone. Pick your shots and don't try and spray and pray and you won't need to rely on the continuous auto.

The 200 can get the job done at the track. You can try and pick your track points and pre focus on the area and wait for cars to move into that zone. Pick your shots and don't try and spray and pray and you won't need to rely on the continuous auto.

That sounds good but what if in the case that the bikes are all over the place. Some riders cling to the turns while other riders stray back. If it was cars, the range of the track would more generalized but I go to motorcycle tracks and if my focus point is off, the whole bike is off focus............... I feel so helpless. lol

Check the AF menu on your camera. There's probably a CF function there.

Check the AF menu on your camera. There's probably a CF function there.

I usually just use the dial and switch from the AF-A to the AF-C so I'm not really used to any other way. If there IS a way to achieve AF-C through the menu option, it will be SO APPRECIATED if someone can walk me through it. I was also wondering that if I switched the Center focused point to "Wide Range" instead of "Normal range" if it would help with focusing when it comes to motorsports?

Last edited:
There's no reason why the 55-200 shouldn't continuously focus on any of the nikon digital bodies.

Ok basics first (I'm assuming that you're using a D90 as this is what you have listed in your profile), and I'm sure you've already double checked this, but just for the sake of completeness. Double check that the switch on the lens is set to "A", if it is already then set the switch to "M", turn the focus ring, and set the switch back to "A" again. I have the same lens and I've once had the problem where the gearing in the lens would not engage. Doing this solved the problem. Also check that the switch on the side of the camera, below the lens release button, is set to "AF" - it almost certainly is otherwise you wouldn't have autofocus whatsoever.

I don't do motorsports, but if I was going to this is how I would start.

Focus mode to AF-C. To do this first hold the AF button which is next to the top LCD display and then turn the rear dial until the top LCD display shows AF-C. I've just taken a look at my D90 and I can't see anyway of doing this through the menu.

AF Area mode to dynamic area. You can access this from the menu. Go to the "pencil" tab and then select "Autofocus". Menu A1, the first in the list, will allow you to do this. I would avoid the 3D tracking mode as I've found it is quite easily confused on the D90 when I'm shooting birds. It might work for motorsports, but I still think the dynamic area mode would be best.

Continuous Shooting. Hold the button that looks like 3 stacked photos next to the top LCD display, above the "AF" button, and twist the rear dial until you see the same 3 stacked photos in the top LCD display together with the the letter "H" next to it. This will give you the fastest continuous shooting possible on the D90.

Regarding the wide area mode for the central focus point, by all means try it. I've found it quite useful before when shooting fast moving objects, although I must admit these days I often forget to change my camera to the wide mode, and my photos don't appear to suffer as a result.

Take note though, when this camera is set to continuous focus it will allow shots to be taken regardless of whether it's obtained focus lock or not. So half press the shutter until the green dot in the bottom left corner of the viewfinder appears (it may well be flickering as the focus is constantly changing) and then shoot away.

I'm pretty sure you've done some, if not all, of the above. if you have and the 55-200 is still not continuously focusing then I'm a bit perplexed. Also be aware that the 55-200 (or at least my copy of it) is not the fastest focusing lens around.

"Focus mode to AF-C. To do this first hold the AF button which is next to the top LCD display and then turn the rear dial until the top LCD display shows AF-C. I've just taken a look at my D90 and I can't see anyway of doing this through the menu."

When I hold down the AF button and turn the dial, it doesn't give me the option what-so-ever. Like for example with my 18-105mm lens, it'll go from AF-S, to AF-(something, I forgot.) and then AF-C. With this lens, It doesn't seem to respond when I hold down the AF button and turn the dial.

With the half-hold down and then start shooting away, it only stays focused when I view through the peephole, but the pictures are blurry nonetheless.

Do you think it's a defective lens that it doesn't autofocus-continuously? I've even tried to manually do it by going into the menu>Autofocus>AF-Area mode but the AF-Area mode is "greyed out" and is saying that the "Option is not available with current settings.!

)=

So I just tried to reattach my 18-105mm and my AUTOFOCUS IS NOT WORKING. Like, I am so frustrated, I could cry.

D90 Autofocus Issue? Please Help! [Archive] - Mac Forums

This is the EXACT issue that I am having, the MF in the screen and all. I don't know how to reset it back to factory position. My autofocus worked on my 18-105 BEFORE and NOW it doesn't! now I have TWO lenses that don't autofocus! What can I do!? I tried everything that this other forum said, with the whole unscrewing the lens and then reapplying, and turning it off and on. Please help!

OK two lenses that refuse to autofocus kind of points towards the camera being at fault. However I've been reading around and it seems that a common cause of this problem is that the lens is not properly attached. Remove the lens again, and then reattach the lens. However when reattaching do not hold the lens release button down, just keep twisting the lens until you hear it click into place.

I've noticed that when I hold the lens release button on my camera down I lose the autofocus options again. I suspect that the lens in this case may not be twisted far enough for the lens release to lock.

Good luck

Most reactions

Back