Nikon 18-200 VR2 IQ for prints

highlight1277

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I own a D7100 and I want to know what to expect from 18-200 VR2 in terms of print quality, compared to 16-85&70-300 for the following usage scenario:
- I print photos of about 5x7" and sometimes 8x11" (In very very rare cases I could go as big as 11x16")
- I would use all focal ranges, including 135mm for portraits
- Usually I do not crop
- I am shooting mainly outdoors. Indoors I use flash (SB 700)
How would be the quality of such prints as conmpared to 16-85 and 70-300? If it is the same, then I'll buy it. It would help me the opinion of people who have actually used those lenses similarly to how I use it - I've already read generic and theoretical reviews.
Thanks a lot

Nikon makes 2, 70-300 mm lenses. Which one do you have?
The AF-S 70-300 mm f/4.6-5.6G is one of Nikon's best lens values, if not the best.

Nikon's 18-200 mm superzoom lens and all other make/model of superzoom lenses have inherent image quality issues because so many design compromises have to be accommodated to achieve a 10x+ zoom range.
Soft focus at various points in the zoom range, barrel distortion, pin cushion distortion, chromatic aberration, and focal length breathing are common superzoom lens issues.

Superzoom lenses are popular because of their convenience, not because of the image quality they produce.

Next, printing is a lot more involved than many appreciate.
Print quality is to some extent dependent on where prints get made. the size of the print relative to the pixel dimensions of the photo being printed, and the post production preparation of the photo before it is printed.

Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX review: Digital Photography Review
Conclusion - Cons
  • Pronounced distortion across much of the range
  • Extremely soft at 135mm
  • Rather average close-up performance
  • Zoom creep

I recommend you just use the lenses you already have.
Being concerned about print quality, you might want to learn more about how to prepare your photos for printing.

Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)
The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop
The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing
Fine Art Printing for Photographers: Exhibition Quality Prints with Inkjet Printers

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the 4.6-5.6 version. I know from reviews that 18-200 is softer but I am only interested if this is noticeable for my size prints. I am not interested in how a wall size print would look like, nor I'm interested in sharpness at 100% magnification.

Yes, it will be noticeable for your sizes of print, unless you do what is need as far as preparing your photos for printing to minimize the IQ issues the 18-200 mm is going to add compared to the lenses you already have.

Most reactions

Back