Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR

macdsean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am seriously considering getting the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens. From what I have read it seems to be a great all around lens. What has been your experience with it? Would you recommend it?

Yes it's a good sharp all-around lens, but it depends on what you intend to shoot with it. For general landscape and scenic photography it's great. For people photos, maybe not so great. If you have an active lifestyle and want to cram the most versatile lightweight and compact lens into your bag, it's great. If you're looking for pro quality, maybe not so great. If you like to walk around a lot and shoot whatever you happen to see, it's great. If you don't mind switching lenses when you need to, the 18-55 and 55-200 combo offers better overall image quality for less money.

I personally don't own one and have never shot with one, but if I did a lot more business travel like I used to I'd definitely have one. It tends to be a love it or hate it lens. Also beware of sample variability. Complicated design + cheap consumer build = lots of sample variation. Some people get them and say it's the sharpest lens they've ever owned, and others get one that are quite soft. If you get one, just make sure you've got a good return/exchange policy from the store you buy it from and test it thoroughly.

Super lens.... Jusk ask Jip....

seriously.... I have one and it's great.... I have other lenses that are better at what they do, but none that do what the 18-200 does....

This lens would be good for you if -

1) you are not considering it to be a professional lens

2) you are missing shots due to lack of focal range

3) you are the type of person that doesn't always enjoy carrying a sack of lenses for your general photography

Mine is sharp... not 50mm prime sharp.... but sharp... make sure yours is too..

When I put away my camera I mount the 18-200 and only change it if one of my specialty lenses is more suitable for the scene... it's perfect for family, vacation type shooting...

The VR works great too....

Most reactions

Back