Nikon 3100

ebp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a limited budget for an entry level DSLR and saw this on sale. It seems to have good reviews, but I'd like some input from those of you that have a better knowledge on cameras. I don't have a ton of money right now to plop down on an expensive camera so I am looking at around $500 or so. Is this a good option? I don't want to waste the money I have on something that's not worth it. Right now I just have a P&S Nikon L120, which seems to take nice shots but lacks depth and manual control so that I can learn more about how to improve my pictures. Thanks for the input!

On a very limited budget it's a pretty awesome camera!
The canon T3 is also in the same range. You really need to play with one of each and decide which fits you properly

I was in the same boat as you, limited budget. I picked up my first DSLR, the 3100, as a birthday present for myself and I'm still happy with the purchase almost 5 months later. Even though I've learned a lot about it and composition, it has been able to keep up.

It's a great camera, especially on a budget. The only things that have been mild annoyances are that it doesn't have autobracketing and you can't use Nikon's wireless shutter triggers with it. But the only thing you really need autobracketing for is when you're doing HDR and clouds are moving fast enough that it's too slow to manually adjust the exposure compensation. The wireless shutter triggers are really convenient if you do a lot of tripod shooting, because you don't have to take the additional time to plug and unplug the shutter trigger. But, in the digital age, being forced to take a little more time in setting up your shot is often as good of a thing as it is a bad thing.

To me, the quality of the actual images it takes holds up with any prosumer/enthusiast grade camera. You aren't going to get appreciably better images without going pro grade, IMHO. I'd defy anybody to be able to double blind pick out an image taken with a D3100 from a D7000. To be sure, the D7000 is a better camera, but, in my very humble opinion, it's a better camera because of features and processor speed, not because the images are appreciably better.

You don't need autobracketing to make HDR images that have moving clouds in the scene. You do need to learn how to isolate the clouds when subsequently when image editing though.

As noted the difference between the D3100 and some of the more expensive Nikon cameras boils down to some somewhat specialized features and functions.

It takes most people several years to get good enough that a D3100 starts holding them back, and they need to consider upgrading their camera.

You can ge the D3100 new, refurbished, or used - Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back