Nikon 50 1.4

D-B-J

Yes,

They are underexposed by exactly 1.5 stops. Not that I feel a need to defend myself but I may as well explain... I spent literally 15 seconds on these 3 shots, I ran from my front door in my slippers, took 3 shots then ran into the house and uploaded RAW files. I would have corrected the histogram in LR but since this was a bokeh test I didn't see the need.

-B

These were all taken with the Nikon 50 1.4. Sorry I didn't list my settings - I'm on my phone and it would take way too long. They might not be as sharp as they could be because I usually shoot wide open (I know it's bad)!

DSC_0082-2 flatten copy 2 by Aubree D Photography, on Flickr

oct 5 2011 82 flatten by Aubree D Photography, on Flickr

Self Portrait by Aubree D Photography, on Flickr

Up! by Aubree D Photography, on Flickr

silhouette2 by Aubree D. Photography, on Flickr

BW conversion by Aubree D. Photography, on Flickr

Hope I didn't post any doubles! If I did - I apologize!

D-B-J

Yes,

They are underexposed by exactly 1.5 stops. Not that I feel a need to defend myself but I may as well explain... I spent literally 15 seconds on these 3 shots, I ran from my front door in my slippers, took 3 shots then ran into the house and uploaded RAW files. I would have corrected the histogram in LR but since this was a bokeh test I didn't see the need.

-B

Thanks for posting these Blair, but close focus dosen't really count in my mind. Because most lenses render good bokeh at close focus distances, the big test is when you are a good few feet away from your subject. I am not saying the 50G has Bad bokeh, but it has nervous outlining in some cases compared to the Sigmas consistent smoothness. Welcome to Photozone! , backs this up! I will have to post the comparative tests on there!

I love those shots MTVision, really beautiful!

I have an old (non-AI which I converted myself to AI) 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor and I love it. It is sharp as a tack and the bokeh is very smooth. It is my go-to lens (reversed) for all the macro work I do with my PB-6 bellows

Why don't we all just post some images.
-
50mm weekend?

Great idea. Since this is a Nikon lenses thread, why don't we start a new thread: 50mm weekend? Any 50mm prime are welcome.

Alright everyone...I am looking for my own "nifty fifty" and it's between the Nikkor 1.4 or 1.8. Thoughts? I shoot with a D3000.

Thanks,
Alex

Our friends did a video:

Battle of the 50's:

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back