What's new

Nikon 50mm f/1.4D or f/1.8D or *new* f/1.4G??

My new AFS version just arrived today, I'm at work at the mo although it's sitting here with me so I can have a little play with it tonight when it's quiet. I'm going to do a little review of it over the weekend and stick it up on my blog.
 

I have it and used the hell out of it. Good sharpness even wide open where I use it most. Build quality is not as good as I would like. Still looking forward to testing the 50 AF-S. I expect it to be my next favorite prime.
 
I have it and used the hell out of it. Good sharpness even wide open where I use it most. Build quality is not as good as I would like. Still looking forward to testing the 50 AF-S. I expect it to be my next favorite prime.

Really; in what way? I've found to be just as good as my other 'D' glass.
 
hi guys, please help me clear my brain.

im brand spankin new so forgive me.

i have a nikon d5000
i want a 50mm lens, i was going to get the 50mm 1.4d AUTOFOCUS, however, a notation on the website i was going to buy it from (bhvideo) said "AF not supported by D40, D60, D3000 & D5000 cameras". so i got on chat, and the guy tells me if i want automatic focus, i have to get the 1.4G, which is much more expensive. this is my very first lens purchase, other than the 18-55mm that came with camera, i about fell out of my chair when i saw the price of the "G". $400++ depending where purchasing.

so then i go to bestbuy and the guy working their tells me the "D" IS compatible with the d5000 camera.. and shows me where it says it on bestbuy website "compatible with all nikon cameras"

see my dilema?? im totally stumped. he could not really give me a good explanation of the diffrerence between the "d" and the "g", he said "its just a different model", but didnt know anything else to tell me. so, now i have 2 conflicting answers from 2 different "professionals".. ugh..
can u guys tell me if the "d" will work on my nikon d5000 (i WANT autofocus)
and what is the significant difference bewteen the 2? im really confused.

please help me make my first lens purchase
 
The AF-D model will NOT autofocus with the D40,D40x,D60,D3000,or D5000 bodies. It will "work", but it will not automatically focus. if you want a 50mm Nikkor that can autofocus on your camera, you need a modern, AF-S focusing lens, like the 50mm 1.4 AF-S G model, or the Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM.
 
oh thanks! ill check out the sigma, have u any other brands i should look at? that will be compatible with my d5000
 
i think im starting to over think everything,
ive read alot of people say get the 1.8d, cheap and does the job. this will probably be doable for me, but will i be dissapointed without 'automatic". if i put the camera on 'auto' will the lens not focus?< i have to turn the barrel? but i thought the barrel didnt turn on this paticular lens? i also read not to touch the barrel?? im confused.
if i go with the "d", is it going to be difficult getting shots of moving children, im picturing having to manually focus for each shot.. do i have this all wrong?

i am spending every free moment reading to learn as much as possible, so bare with me. while i ask about 'auto' i am trying to shoot in manual to MAKE myself learn. im a pretty quick learner and seem to grow out of 'beginner' things pretty quickly, so i want to spend my $$ on something thats gonna last awhile.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom