Nikon 50MM Questions

hsphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really want to get a 50MM lens, but I needed someone to help me differentiate between a few things. I have a D90.

What is the difference between the 1.4D and 1.4G? For someone just starting out, is it worth it to fork out all that money when there is a 1.8 that's not as pricey? I want to get the most bang for my buck, something I can use for awhile that will help produce great quality images.

If your going the Nikon route then go with the 50 1.8G, it seems to be a great value lens with many good aspects.

If you want a 1.4, buy a Sigma 50 1.4. It functions beautifully as a 50mm 1.4 lens.

The "G" series lenses do not have an aperture ring on the lens. "D" series lenses do have an aperture ring. This Page describes Nikon lens differences.

I also am a fan of Sigma lenses. I have two of them and they do an excellent job.

Here's a breakdown

50mm f1.4 af-d = an autofocus verison of nikons classic 50mm lens design which is about 50 years old, 7 aperture blades, no internal motor
50mm f1.8 af-d = similar to the f1.4 af-d, but a a bit slower and more cheaply produced.
50mm f1.4G af-s = optical design is still pretty old, but with better coatings, 9 aperture blades, internal motor, lacks an aperture ring
50mm f1.8G af-s = new optical design, 7 aperture blades, internal motor, lacks aperture ring.

Of all these the f1.8G is the best performer due to it having a new optical design, whereas the others are all basically the same optical design as the original the nikon 50mm f1.4, which was released in 1959.

The 50mm Nikkor 1.8G AF-S is the best bang for the buck, IMO.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've heard good things about the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 but I would consider either going tighter or wider. If you know you need a 50 then get it, but I have a 50 along with a few other lenses and I rarely use the 50 other than for portraits. Just a thought

I've heard good things about the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 but I would consider either going tighter or wider. If you know you need a 50 then get it, but I have a 50 along with a few other lenses and I rarely use the 50 other than for portraits. Just a thought

I bought a 50mm sigma 1.4 because I wanted the best in the 50's. If i need wider I'll pop on the Nikor 24-70 =)

Nikon 24-70 was getting heavy in the studio.

Is the Sigma 50 1.4 better then the Nikon 50 1.8?

In comparison to a 35 - which do you think is better? Or is it more preference?

If your going the Nikon route then go with the 50 1.8G, it seems to be a great value lens with many good aspects.

If you want a 1.4, buy a Sigma 50 1.4. It functions beautifully as a 50mm 1.4 lens.

^^^^^^^^ That, no matter who tells you there is little use for a 50 prime lens =)

Is the Sigma 50 1.4 better then the Nikon 50 1.8?

In comparison to a 35 - which do you think is better? Or is it more preference?

Sigma.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 50mm on your D90 is a short tele. I have a 50 1.8 left over from my film days that I use with my d5100 once in a blue moon. If I were going to buy a prime lens for a crop frame it would be a 35mm 1.8 and not the 50

Most reactions

New Topics

Back