Nikon 55-200mm VR DX AF-S ?? help

lucas123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey i was gonna purchase a new lens for my stock nikon d40
(af-s nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.4.56G ED) with a (Nikon 55-200mm VR DX AF-S)
they say
"This G-type Nikkor lens is designed with no aperture rings, and offers easier, virtually mistake-free operation because the aperture does not need to be set to minimum."
could someone explain what this means to me and if i am loosing anything by going to this lens or if its a good lens
thanks

come on there must be someone out there that can explain this to me ?

"This G-type Nikkor lens is designed with no aperture rings, and offers easier, virtually mistake-free operation because the aperture does not need to be set to minimum."
That's irrelevant for your camera. You can safely ignore that.

...if i am loosing anything by going to this lens or if its a good lens
thanks
Losing anything: no
Good lens: yes

Way to go with the explaination.

The G series don't have an aperture ring. Every lens since the earlier D series have had the ability for the camera to control the aperture digitally from the body. The end result is that D lenses need to lock the mechanical aperture ring at minimum for the camera to work. This isn't an issue.

The G series does away with the ring completely and you now can only control the aperture digitally. Are you losing something? YES. But only if you have an old camera. My Nikon FE has no electronic controls, yet all of my lenses still work just as well on this ancient rock as it does on my D200. This is the main reason I don't have any G series lenses in my collection other than my D200 kit lens.

If you don't have an older camera body this will not effect you, but if one day you feel like dipping your toes into something classic ... well it still won't effect you because DX lenses won't work normally on film cameras, but hey you get my point. The aperture ring is for backwards compatibility.

Also the "mistake free" part of the quote is bull****, a camera with digital control with display FEE (aperture error) if the aperture ring isn't locked at minimum, so operation is already mistake free :)

come on there must be someone out there that can explain this to me ?
Turns out:
  • the answer is in your camera's users manual,
  • has been covered several times here in the forums, (that's why the forum has a search feature),
  • is available at www.nikonusa.com
  • and several places on the Internet were you to do a google search, including web sites by the noted Nikon guru Thom Hogan and Wikipedia.
That's could be why people weren't answering.

Self-help can be a wonderful thing and you usually wind up discovering other really useful info you didn't even know, you didn't know. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back