Nikon 80-200 squeaking problem

Junior897

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a used 80-200 f2.8 online, and got it this morning. I noticed when I put it on one of my cameras that it squeaks. Is that a common problem, or did I get a bad lens?

Last edited:
So what's the question?

Sorry I went back, and edited the post to more of a question than a long rambling statement.

Never heard of a squeaking lens. Does it squeak during focus, zoom or aperture changes? Either way, I think this one is due for some time at a repair center. They're good lenses, and if you got it for a GOOD price, the cost of the repair should not deter you.

Many,many AF-S Nikkors squeak a bit when focusing. It's quite a common issue with the 28-70/2.8, 300 f/4,and 80-200 2.8 AF-S models. Some people say it' a sign that the AF-S focusing motor in the lens is about to go out, but that's not really true. I bought a new 300mm f/4 AF-S about five years ago, and it squeaks a bit when it focuses.

The 80-200 is an AF-D screwdriver drive lens. It should not be squeaking. I am guessing it squeeks when autofocusing? If that's the case how does it feel when manual focusing? Also take the lens off the camera, leave it in AF and use a screw driver the turn the af screw on the lens. See if there is any binding. If there is any binding, need to contact who ever you purchased it from. They probably listed it as is, but if its an ebay thing you have recourse with Paypal if they knowingly sold the lens with that condition and didn't list it.

If the AF is binding it may put enough pressure on the body AF motor to overheat it / ruin it!!!

The 80-200 is an AF-D screwdriver drive lens. It should not be squeaking. !

There was an AF-S version as well. Since he didn't specify we don't know which flavour he owns.

Guess I have been under a rock. Never heard of an AF-S version. Been out since 12/98. Wondering why I didn't buy it. Could be I bought mine just before it came out. Figures :er:

Probably because it costs a mint in comparison, for pennies more you could get the 70-200, and it was discontinued a long time ago to stop eating 70-200 sales.

The MkIV model of the Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 is quite rare. It's a safe assumption that he has the MkIII which is the most common in current circulation and only AF.

Junior you mentioned that it only squeaks on one of your camera bodies? Do you have other AF (non AF-S) lenses to test on that body too. As said the lens itself autofocuses using a screwdrive on the motor. It should either squeak on all AF bodies, or not at all. If it only squeaks on one AF body then it's more likely that your body's AF system has issues.

Maybe this will help out. It is a 80-200 ED
DSC_4207.jpg

I am now thinking it is a issue with the body because it is having a problem with another lens I have. I am going to have it checked out when I get a chance.

Thank you all for your advice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back