Nikon=Canon

LuckySo-n-So

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What are the Canon equivalents of these Nikons. I ask this because I hear all these Canon model numbers, and don't have a clue what the are, or what they do, with the exception of the 5d's, etc. When someone says "I have a Canon 50D," they might as well say "I shoot pictures with a bag of potato chips." I pretty much know the differences between all of the Nikons. If someone knows off the top of their head, that would be cool. Sorry Jerry, It would take me hours to research this, and I figure within a few posts, this list could be filled. I did a cursory search on TPF, and it would take me hours to piece this together as well.

Thanks. Just curious, as I'm sure a lot of you are. I'm sure there are Canon shooters who don't know a D90 from a D200 from a D60.

Nikon Canon

D3x

D3

D700

D300

D200

D90

D80

D60

D40(x)

Edit: I realize there will be subtle differences between "like" models and there won't be perfect matches, but y'all get the idea

Last edited:
I'll guess I'll start! With one!

D3x

D3

D700

D300

D200

D90

D80

D60

D40(x) = Rebel XT

I agree it's confusing, one reason I like Pentax.

Three cameras - easy :)

FWIW according to Wikipedia :-

Entry Level

Pentax k-m
Canon 1000D
Nikon D40/60

Mid Range
Pentax K200D
Canon 500D
Nikon D90

Enthusiast/Semi-Pro/High End
Pentax K20D
Canon 50D
Nikon D300

then 3 full Frame bodies
5D Mk II - D700
1D Mk III - D3
1Ds Mk III - D3x

The other models you list are older models.

All right:

D3x - 1Ds MK III, 1D MKIII

D3 - 1Ds MK II, 1D MK I/1DMKII

(note: that's an estimate... 1Ds MKIII is the new pro costing $10,000 ~, 1D MK III is the new sporting 1.3x crop factor/focal length multiplier... really the 1D MK II, the original, had a rival in the Nikon 4MP D2H, and before that was the 1D MK I...)

D700 - 5D MK I, but of course now there's the newer 5D MKII... the Nikon came in between these two

D300 - EOS 40D, although now there's the 50D. Of course, semi-pro Canon's about $700 cheaper. Here, at least in Australia.

D200 - EOS 20D (?), 30D (?), maybe 40D... can't really remember.

D90 - in between Rebel series and Canon's semi pro.

D80 - older version of D90 ---- ^

D60 - EOS 450D, they will probably release a newer model to rival the 500D. 450D aka Rebel XSi

D40(x) - theoratically it's the 400D/XTi... although there's now the 1000D, or XS, which is one step below the XSi (not really, but one or two less features and such, cheaper)... it's debatable.

Some might say the D300 is positioned higher in a semi-pro pro range, rather than Canon's 50D/40D which is semi-semi pro... if you get me.

Different levels, but they are allocated in the same and both, of course, are great.

Generally, Sony has the best Image Quality, Nikon has the best ISO handling and Canon's in between. That's why I picked Canon. :) But all camera brands are good (mostly!)

Last edited:
You're comparing megapixels / sensor size and not direct product placement, this is a losing game resulting in religous battles (Hey D700 is sooo much better than 5DMkII blah blah blah). Both companies produce things for different audiences in a slightly staggered price/performance fashion. But once can still consider the product placement and marketing, ignoring some outdated cameras and things become clearer, stars indicated who released the camera first indicating the other company was the answer to that market:

D3x - 1Ds MkIII*
D3 - 1D MkIII*
D700* - 5D MkII
D300* - 50D (not sure which came first)
D200* (outdated) - 30D at the time
D90 - 450D*
D80* (outdated) - 350D
D60 - 1000D*
D40 (outdated) no competitor. It offered quite a bit more price performance than Canon's cheapest offering, hence canon released the 1000D.

Thanks guys, I knew y'all would come through!

Clears things up for me.

You're comparing megapixels / sensor size and not direct product placement, this is a losing game resulting in religous battles (Hey D700 is sooo much better than 5DMkII blah blah blah). Both companies produce things for different audiences in a slightly staggered price/performance fashion. But once can still consider the product placement and marketing, ignoring some outdated cameras and things become clearer, stars indicated who released the camera first indicating the other company was the answer to that market:

D3x - 1Ds MkIII*
D3 - 1D MkIII*
D700* - 5D MkII
D300* - 50D (not sure which came first)
D200* (outdated) - 30D at the time
D90 - 450D*
D80* (outdated) - 350D
D60 - 1000D*
D40 (outdated) no competitor. It offered quite a bit more price performance than Canon's cheapest offering, hence canon released the 1000D.

This is pretty good except the D40 having no competitor. I believe the D40 was a competitor for the Rebel XT/350d and D40x for the XTI/400d.

D80 was not against the XT/350d in my opinion.....Then again, I think you are trying to compare the cameras with similar release dates since the D80 and 350d were released closer to the same time...even though actual comparison is closer with the D40 and 350d.

That's just my food for thoughts.

Personally I don't think the 50D is a competitor for the D300
and the D90 doesnt compete against the 500D/Ti because they are completely different product cycles and the Ti hasnt even shipped.

Personally I don't think the 50D is a competitor for the D300
and the D90 doesnt compete against the 500D/Ti because they are completely different product cycles and the Ti hasnt even shipped.
The argument is that the 50D is a magnesium framed prosumer whereas the D90 is a plastic framed consumer model similar to the Rebels.

The D90 is certainly a cut above the Rebel, but it's not a 50D. The T1i sports the same features as the D90 with more megapixels (15.1 vs. 12.9), higher ISO (12800 vs 6400), higher resolution HD video (1080 vs 720), etc. The T1i also is all plastic. I would say even though it's yet to hit the streets, it's the D90's direct competitor.

The D300 is a cut above the 50D in my view, even though the design is slightly more dated. But the two are definately direct competitors.

I agree, the 50D is in fact the D300 competitor in this comparision. However, each has slightly differing characteristics to capture a different type of shooter. With a product, one company either has to produce a similar, but higher quality product, or a somewhat similar product geared to a different fanbase. I think it would be hard to "directly" compair one system with the other and expect each model to have a direct opponent.

Derrick

D3x: 1ds MK III
D3: 1d MK III
D700: In between 5DMI and 5DMII, closer to 5DMII
D300: In between 50D and 5D
D90: 40D
D80: XSI
D70: XTI
D60: XS
D40: XT

You folks keep trying to compair older cameras with new models....why. The D90 and 40D? Nope. The 40D is more like the D200 if you have to compair. The D90 is what Canon produced the 500D for. Nikon's Dxx and Canon's xxxD are in the same grouping if you ask me. A two year old camera cannot be compaired to a very recent release....it just doesn't make sense. I still think compairing the two is non-sense. A company has to find a slight gap in the market to gain shares. One would not expect each to be identicle. I suppose this all really boils down to the age-old pissing match. LOL I shoot Canon, but agree that Nikon has some outstanding hardware as well. But direct compairisons are silly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back