Nikon choice

RuBez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just entering the photography field as a hobby of mine. Now I have to choose between buying The Nikon D90 or Nikon D3100. Whats my best option here?

I'm willing to struggle a bit in the beginning but I'm a quick learner and eventually I'll want to take much more professional pictures.

I'd also like to use it mostly for aviation, not really planes on the move that much but mostly stationary on the ground and a few in flight scenery pictures.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!
biggrin.png

Thanks

D90

I'll want to take much more professional pictures.

Cameras don't take good pictures people do, just because you get a nicer camera doesn't mean your pictures are going to be better.

So true, thanks

A quick learner will appreciate the D90.

I've got the d3100. It depends on your budget, I left some money for lenses, and eventually a flash and some filters.
Have a look of that Nikon D3100

Getting the d3100 I left me the possibility to buy another, more professional, camera (maybe d700 or canon 5d).

An important fact is that d3100 hasn't a built in autofocus motor so you'll have to buy AFS lenses (more expensive) but i don't care because i enjoy manual focusing.
Forget ISO and MP, you won't see the difference between a 500$ camera and a 2000$ camera in normal lightened condition.
If you're mad for HDR forget the d3100 because it has no auto bracketing.
Furthermore d90 has pentaprism instead of pentamirror which is better

Out of the 2... D90 hands down!

D90 by a long shot. The biggest plus in my book (but by not means the only...)is the ability to use and AF with many many lenses that the D3100 cannot.

Nikon Lens Compatibility

I was deciding between the two and went with the D90 (factory demo from Camcor for $630). I love it and I'm sure you would love it too ;)

However, if low weight and/or video are really important to you, the D3100 has the advantage though since it is continuous AF and 1080 and a featherweight of DSLRs. Otherwise, get the D90 for the internal motor, better rear LCD, bigger viewfinder, top LCD, more accessible controls.

Getting the d3100 I left me the possibility to buy another, more professional, camera (maybe d700 or canon 5d).

not a nikon fanboy here, but if you went nikon, and even left money for flashes and glass, why go canon down the road?
just curious. usually one would want to stick to the system they've invested in...not to say people dont switch sides, but i was intrigued by this comment, that;s all. :D

i would also say D90.
the one thing the 3100 has over the d90 is 1080p vid with AF, but if that;s not important to you, D90 fo sho.

Yep many like myself became frustrated with the entry cams within the first year.
Due to lack of controls,smaller viewfinder no motor to drive some great primo glass of the AF and AF-D breed.

As far as I'm concerned the D90 is the Best Bang Featured cam for the monies! at the moment.
And will give you the time to grow into the camera. Instead of growing out or frustrated of it the first year.

Have Been on a couple of photo walkabout groups. You can also see from a distance which have the entry cams.As we approached a scene to capture the entry camera users where spending more time looking at the lcd menu digging to change a setting.

Where as a more capable camera's with dedicated controls I can change a setting without my eye leaving the viewfinder.And missing the shot like I have seen happen more with people busy menu digging to change a setting. I noticed this whether they were shooting Nikon or Canon as most times we were a mixed group.

not a nikon fanboy here, but if you went nikon, and even left money for flashes and glass, why go canon down the road?
just curious. usually one would want to stick to the system they've invested in...not to say people dont switch sides, but i was intrigued by this comment, that;s all. :D
I didn't invested so much money in a system, look at my signature. I've got only two lens (and one is DX) and a 150$ flash unit and I could also resell them.
But If I keep spending on Nikkor lenses I'll agree with you and I can't think about spending money for a DX, dreaming on a FX body.

Anyway... if you're interested in full hd videos get a camcorder, the autofocus on the d3100 is crappy and noisy.
I know that d90 is more confortable and bigger (it would fit better in my hands) and easier to set but I was just saying that is your first camera is a temporary solution, then d3100 makes more sense because it'll let you switch to a better camera earlier.

Uh... If I've learnt something from the thousands of topics i read before i buyed mine is that the grip is maybe the most important thing. If d3100 doesn't fit well in your hand forget it, because it won't push you into shooting.

Both have similar performing sensors, with a very slight edge to the newer d3100. Also the D3100 does 1080p video instead of just 720p.

However, the d90 has far more features and better controls/handling. The inclusion of an AF motor is also a big + if you forsee yourself buying any lower focal length prime lenses (85mm or lower), the older "AF" versions of these lenses cost less then 1/2 as much the newer af-s versions (if they exist), and perform just as well.

Most reactions

Back