Jermz_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

I am getting into photography and would like to step up to my first DSLR camera. I currently have a simple Canon SD400 Elph (great little pocket camera), but it's time to step up... there is only so much you can do with that little thing. :thumbup:

So... really I have it narrowed down to two different choices... a D40x combo package w/ two lenses, etc or a D80 with a kit lens. Now, I realize some would argue that the D40 is a better buy, since the only difference is the MP... but... I would like to be able to print some larger shoots without loss of quality (or at least have the option). And that's not what I'm asking... D40x or D80? :D

The only big difference i can see between the two are maybe AF and the lens that each can take. Oh... and the cost... but... that is somewhat negligible at the moment... so, a D80 with one lens, or a D40x with 2 lenses and some left-over cash to buy more goodies??

anyway... thoughts? opinions? thanks everyone!

If it were me, I would go with the D80. Mostly due to its more robust construction and it's ability to mount and AF more lenses.

Hi ShaCow... I have looked at the Canon's... I honestly like Nikon's better... not that there is anything wrong with the Canon's... they are great cameras... and perhaps when going to a "more professional" camera I would consider a Canon. Do you have Canon's you'd recommend instead of a D40x or D80?? if so, which ones? just for argument sake. thanks!

BELIEVE ME!!!!! Get the D80!!!!!! I can't say that enough!!!!!

Ok, see I purchased the D40 and not long after I realized that I am going to miss out on a lot of fantastic lens since the D40 does not have the AF motor. If you are going to spend the extra money on the D40x the you can easily afford the D80. I have to stick with Nikon AF-S or Sigma HSM lens untill I upgrade my camera body. With the D80 you will be able to take advantage of the cheap prime lens which I really miss!

SO, if you are going into photography, PLEASE do yourself a favore and get the D80! + I bet the two lens you get with the D40x are the cheaper glass which you will probably wish you spent the money on better glass.

PS Nikon is just as professional as Canon!

D80 with or without the kit-lens (I will go for without and find another lens)

I think I am sensing a bit of a theme here... nice! woo-hoo!

D40 - that was my biggest concern between the two cameras... I think you spelled out exactly what i should do (and thanks to everyone else!)

please keep posting as I am new to this and open to opinions and ideas.

I am glad I helped, as I have said this to many people. I think you will really enjoy the D80, the D40 is a great camera but it is not for someone who wants to get into photography anything past family outings, child pictures, "nice camera for mom" so to speak. I am going to hang on to my D40 for a while till I start making money and am more knowledgable about handleing the camera, then I hope to upgrade to the D200 or 300 line. I am really glad Sigma is looking out for the D40 users with there HSM lens. I just purchased the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 which I am really enjoying.

Enjoy your new camera:)

Get the D80. One big difference between d40x and d80 i that the d80 has two dial wheels. One for shutter and one for aperture when you work in manual mode. If you do work a lot in manual mode with your camera, you will get tired of fiddling with the toggle button on the D40x. The AF motor is also a good argument for the D80, so is the better build quality and bigger body that fits better in your hand.

On the other hand, the d40x gives you good value for money and good image quality if you don't wanna spend the extra bucks for the d80.

Or you could get the cheapest d40 now to get familiar with slr photography, and then jump a few steps and upgrade to a d300 or something else when you know a little bit more of what you want from your camera.

D80 all the way
And when you want something "more professional"....buy Nikon....obviously

I'm having a blast with my D80. I agree with someone above, get the body and find a better-than-the-kit-lense. The 50mm f/1.8 is a good start IMO.

Hi ShaCow... I have looked at the Canon's... I honestly like Nikon's better... not that there is anything wrong with the Canon's... they are great cameras... and perhaps when going to a "more professional" camera I would consider a Canon. Do you have Canon's you'd recommend instead of a D40x or D80?? if so, which ones? just for argument sake. thanks!

You would be hard pressed to find any more professional a camera than a D3 or D300. (now that will start some stuff :) )

If you want a system in the future, buy that system now. If you plan on switching, don't buy something else...

Either way, I dont' think anyone would recommend the D40 over the D80. The D80 is a great camera.

I own a D40, a couple D80's and a D300.

Get a D80.

IMHO.

Most reactions

Back