Kristen6877

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kristenmartin.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Aloha,
I need some help syncing my flash. I was going through the manual of my Nikon D200 and messing with the settings (its a new camera for me). I was trying all of the different options in the manual and I changed something and I can't figure out what it is!!! I have a 420EX flash and now when I use the flash the picture is REALLY white/bright. If anyone has experience with Nikon D200 or knows anything about what I need to do to try to remedy the situation I would greatly appreciate it. I know the flash syncs with the camera because I used it for a few weeks with no problem and I didn't have the problem until about 2 weeks ago - after I played will all of the settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo, Kristen :grumpy: :hail: :(

Youve probably set exposure compensation so that its overexposing, get your manual out and look it up, on the screen on top of the camera check if there's a + or -, this should confirm if you have done this. H

Thanks for the quick response. I just went into my settings and it says "Exposure Comp. - Off". The option directly above says "Steps for Exposure Compa nd Fine Tuning" and that is on 1/3 step. I'm still trying to go through some of the other settings to fix it!

Mahalo, Kristen

Thought I would post two example pictures of what I'm getting...
Thanks again

km060407001Small.jpg

km060407002Small.jpg

Your problem is that you're using a canon flash on a Nikon body.

I thought that might be the problem - but - the first couple of weeks that I had the camera it worked ok. I guess my last option is to sell the Canon 420EX and get a Nikon flash... thanks, Kristen

Hi, yes a Nikon flash will work better but in the mean time set the camera to manual flash and the flashgun to either Auto or go ahead and set it the old way by doing the math thing. (there must be guides for that flash or at least it's guide number on the net some where). The thing that wont work is the flash in eTTL and the camera in iTTL. ;)

mike

I have a question, WHY are you using a Canon speedlight on your Nikon body?

I'd be afraid I'd break my camera if I did somethign like that. It's like trying to mount Nikkors on a Canon body, it just doesn't work.

I just don't think it's a good idea to do this. It's one thing to mount a non-dedicated single pin flash but I would never do this even if camera and flash were given to me.

You could always call Nikon if you are worried about it. Canon has a lower tolerance for voltages than Nikon so that shouldn't be an issue. The electronics not communicating shouldn't be an issue either if the camera is set to manual and the flash is set to auto or manual.

Do call Nikon 1-800-nikonus though as I give no guarantees. ;)

mike

Thanks for the input! I think I'm going to sell it and purchase the right one. The only reason I tried to use it was because I bought it and the next week was offered the D200 at a great deal and sold the camera that weekend.... and I tried it on the Nikon and I it worked with no problems, so I didn't include it with all of my other accessories in the sale on my Canon. Looking back that was a mistake and I should have sold it with the Canon for an additional amount and used that money to purchase the new one.

The flash unit is not compatible with the Nikon auto exposure electronics so you are getting a full blast flash every time. It is probably synching just fine. I would imagine the flash unit has some sort of thyristor circuit so that it can handle auto exposure without the camera. Most of them do. If not, then it will certainly have a manual mode that you can use. What you can't use is the TTL auto exposure mode because it isn't compatible with the camera's circuitry.

Actually the voltages should be fine unless you buy a flash that was made before the 80s or so. Pretty much all flashes since then have been in the low 6V range, and Nikon's Hotshoe can tollerate 250V max. It was some ludicrous flashes from before the 80s which synced at >250V that will fry your camera.

I am more worried about contacts not lining up not for the camera's sake but the flashes. Not all electronics are short circuit safe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back