Nikon D2X lens choices....

Woosey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to decide on what glass to buy to match my D2X, i'm looking to buy 2nd hand for more bang to the £ :)

ATM I have

Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon 70 - 300 f4-5.6D ED (not the best purchase in the world :( )
A few other manual lenses (28mm f2.8 for example)

I was thinking of buying -

Nikon 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR
Tokina 12-24mm
If funds would allow Nikon 17-35mm f2.8
Something longer than 120 with vr...

So what are your most used lenses? Would rather own two or three great lenses, then 10 average ones!

You don't say what you shoot, however my recommendations would be either the 24-70 2.8 (AWESOME glass) or the 17-55DX (Pretty darn good glass). Stay away from 'Swiss Army Knife' lenses like the 24-120, 18-200 etc. When they try and make something do too much, it winds up not doing any of it really well. Bodies come and go, good glass is forever.

get nikons 24-70 2.8 and 70-200vr

if ur on a budget get used nikons 28-70 2.8 and 80-200 2.8

Hi Guys, sorry for the lack of info , I shoot motor sport (this upto now has been done on an 70-300 vr lens i borrowed, other than that its just general kind of use (sometimes for weddings etc)

I want to build up a nice glass collection that should i upgrade to a 700/d3 it won't require renewing :)

My most used lens upto now has been a little 17-55 DX kit lens, its been a cracking little lens, however i think the d2x deserves better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the d2 is FF and the DX glass is aimed more at crop bodies right? I don't shoot nikon and I'm not real familiar with there top end cameras.

nope its not FF :) Although going forward, my next camera is likely to be (700/d3) so i guess now would be the time not to buy DX lenses ;)

I wasn't sure, why I asked before I stated. Like I said, I've never handled Nikon's top end stuff, only the d300 and the other consumer-prosumer bodies.

Dont buy anything but the FF unless you think you will keep the D2X for the rest of your life. The DX lenses won't be good in a few years (once FF is standard) and will lose their value. I would get the 28-70mm/2.8 for a midrange to midlong zoom once factoring in the DX sized sensor. If you were thinking 17-35mm/2.8 but can't afford it (I cant either), look at the 20-35mm/2.8 instead (~$500-600).

Dont buy anything but the FF unless you think you will keep the D2X for the rest of your life. The DX lenses won't be good in a few years (once FF is standard) and will lose their value. I would get the 28-70mm/2.8 for a midrange to midlong zoom once factoring in the DX sized sensor. If you were thinking 17-35mm/2.8 but can't afford it (I cant either), look at the 20-35mm/2.8 instead (~$500-600).
So untrue. Cropped sensors will be around much, much longer than you think. But if you do plan on going FF then Id stay with Flim/FF lenses. If you are looking to go to a wider field then the 12-24 should do well for you. If you still plan on shooting motorsports and, such then you will want more reach. I have the 80-400VR but, it wasnt cheap.

So untrue. Cropped sensors will be around much, much longer than you think. But if you do plan on going FF then Id stay with Flim/FF lenses. If you are looking to go to a wider field then the 12-24 should do well for you. If you still plan on shooting motorsports and, such then you will want more reach. I have the 80-400VR but, it wasnt cheap.

Well either way with the DX, the guy is already looking to upgrade to FF so given the fact that more are on their way, he will be moving in that direction. You cannot quote my whole post and say it was entirely untrue. Sorry, but it's just not- don't be silly.

If you shoot weddings my suggestion would be the 80-200 2.8 because it is supposed to preform better on full frame cameras which would looking down the road. You can find them around the web used for a reasonable price.

DO NOT GET THE 24-120VR!!!111!!!1!

I own it, use it on a D700, and it's lousy garbage. The only reason I use it is because i'm saving up for the 24-70 and I already had it.

The 24-120VR is fine on a D1, D2h, D70/50/40, but anything over 6mp and it's just beyond crap.

I suggest a used 17-55, they can be had for $900, sometimes less.

DO NOT GET THE 24-120VR!!!111!!!1!

I own it, use it on a D700, and it's lousy garbage. The only reason I use it is because i'm saving up for the 24-70 and I already had it.

The 24-120VR is fine on a D1, D2h, D70/50/40, but anything over 6mp and it's just beyond crap.

I suggest a used 17-55, they can be had for $900, sometimes less.

agreed! I used it on my D40x, bit of a joke, but it was soft sometimes in the corners and sometimes in the center. . . my 18-55 VR kit lens performed more consistently and better!

Switch, isn't the 17-55 f/2.8 DX only? Or is it DX/FX? To the OP, I'd recommend finding a lens that manages both so you don't have to "double" invest. . ..

I'm doing the same, getting by with some cheapo lenses for my D40x as I save for a D700; I just rent nice glass when I need it for important work.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice guys, thankfully i didn't buy the 24-120, so a bit of cash spared there ;)

Most reactions

Back