Nikon D300, 18-200 VR lens

R9R Photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, I literally just got this thing :mrgreen: and excited doesn't even begin to describe it. But, the camera's here before the CF card :grumpy: (got too good a deal on the body/lens to pass up), so it's torturing me...just sitting there...

Anyhoo, I've heard mixed reviews on this lens, so it'll be interesting to see how it does. I shoot mainly landscapes, floral portraits, nature stuff. I'll add here when I've got a few frames under my belt.

So far though, I love the easy access to all the controls on the D300. The little levers and switches make it actually quite easy to change from setting to setting very quickly (you just have to learn each one and not let them gang up on you :p). My CF card will probably be here by the end of the week, so you know what I'll be doing this weekend if it does!

Can't wait to try it out!

P.S. - I was just really excited about my new camera, I know this isn't really a review...yet. Feel free to move if appropriate, I just had to get it out before I pop :mrgreen:

I think that lens will be your largest limiting factor - I have yet to understand why people get these megazooms?!

But congratz on the body - good price point right now!

Let me break the news to you... basically, its a super-zoom and *all* superzooms are exercises in compromises (some a lot more than others), but this is the *best* walk-around lens on the market, bar none... but...

- It vignettes at 200mm
- it has barrel distortion at 18mm
- it's soft at both ends
- its a slow lens
- most models have lens creep when pointed downward (mine doesn't for some reason)

But then again, I hope you were not expecting the performance of a prime in a lens that has such incredible range, yes?

That said:

- Between 50-150mm it is as sharp as the 70-200 in between apertures of F/11-F/13
- It's contrasty and pleasant in brighter conditions
- The VR works wonderfully
- The softness can be addressed with a few clicks in post process
- The vignetting can be addressed with a few clicks in post process

I like and still often use the 18-200 anytime I am needing a good walk-around lens and don't want to be switching lenses that day, but whenever I want to get serious about quality... the 18-200 comes off, and the Nikkor 70-200 goes on.

The 18-200 is a fine standard lens. If you're not able to coax shots you are proud of out of that sucker, then you are most definitely doing something wrong. Hop on Flickr to see what that little lens can do.

if the 18-135 can in VR i would take that any day over the 18-200 VR
ill take extra performance over extra reach.

But then again, I hope you were not expecting the performance of a prime in a lens that has such incredible range, yes?

Absolutely not. It was a cost-effective solution to what I'm looking to get started with, and get me used to the 300. My future plans (hopefully :)) include an 85mm Macro, and a 70-200mm f/2.8 ;) I (hope to) especially like the range this lens will give me, my bag is a MicroTrekker 200 backpack at the moment, so it was a tad tedious to switch lenses when they were in the bag. We'll see if it's worth it. If not I'll sell it and maybe look at a 55-200 VR and something else on the wider end.

The CF card finally came yesterday, went out to try my luck on the sunset tonight, and the sunset was a dissapointment, so I ended up with 2 shots of some ice melting on the creek. The camera's warming up now, so I'll post the better of the 2 in a few hours hopefully :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back