Nikon D300 Users...Need A Remote?

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thought about having a remote for your D300?

There are a few options provided by Nikon. There is the:
MC-21 at $65USD - 9.8 ft corded remote. But you'll have to figure out if you need the MC-20, MC-22, MC-30 or the MC-36 triggers at $55USD a pop.

ML-3 at $175USD - Wireless up to 26' (7.9M) + batteries

WT-4 at $730USD - Wireless up to 850' (260M) + batteries and it won't bring you coffee in the morning and a BJ is out of the question.

OR

the PHOTTIX Cleon N8 at $37USD - Wireless up to 320' (100M) includes battery. With shipping to East coast USA - $49.

Here's the look:
Phottix-Remote-1-.jpg

Phottix-Remote-2-.jpg

Phottix-Remote-3-.jpg

Phottix-Remote-6-.jpg

You can use it corded:
Phottix-Remote-4-.jpg

Or with the hand held remote: (Please note the two green lights. As with a half press of the shutter, the same holds true and two green lights indicate that focus is met.)
Phottix-Remote-5-.jpg

The corded control has a 2 second delay on it and works in tandem with the hand held device.

The descriptions on the product indicate that you can not use it in conjunction with off-camera flash (SB-600 or SB-800) when mounted on the hotshoe. But what I have found is that if you slide it back far enough on the hotshoe:
Phottix-Remote-7-.jpg

It will still tighten down so as not to be sitting precariously, and the pop-up commander (built-in) flash does rise to the ocassion.
Phottix-Remote-8-.jpg

But surely it's not enough to trigger the off camera flashes, you say.
HA, is my response.
Phottix-Remote-9-.jpg

I have had this unit less than a week, but feel I have put it through many scenarios. It has foot-faulted a couple of times in response, but am unsure at this point if it wasn't the RAW images clearing the buffer instead. More testing to follow and updates as necessary.

Just a little FYI.

Just as an aside, if you'll notice two other things in these photos.
1) the viewfinder blind is always attached to my camera strap in case I want to do long exposures. (camera right)
2) the camera strap is the TPF strap and is fantastic. When on the tripod, I can shorten the strap by removing the padded part and leaving a short strap that doesn't interfere with tripod operations. HEY MODS...HOW'S THAT FOR A PLUG? Seriously, a damn good strap.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I just checked eBay, and these are made for Canons as well. Very good to hear. Looks like a nice product. I especially like that the device mounts in the hot-shoe.

tx 4 the info - will look for an update after some real world use regarding how it works, how it lasts etc. I will be looking for something very soon [a remote] as I grew fond of the little remote I used on my old D80 and want something for my D300 now. Thanks

Does it have to be mounted to the hot shoe for it to work? I assume it doesn't, since you move it back to use the on camera pop up flash.

I was soooo close to buying this a few weeks back but instead pulled the trigger on a remote which has a builtin timer and backlit LCD instead of a remote.

Same price I just figured I hate using my stopwatch when I know my exposure needs to be exactly 3 minutes. So I found the other one more useful.

A mate of mine has this one though and he never stops raving about it. It doesn't need to be mounted in the hotshoe it's just there for convenience just like pocketwizards also have a shoe mount.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back