Nikon D3300 for first dslr ?

It's a very well specified little camera and will serve you well. It's excellent value for money. I reviewed it here, giving my thoughts upon it.

Nikon D3300 as one's first d-slr? Or as the first d-slr for a new or existing family or household? SURE! That is **exactly** the niche that it is aimed at. It's got excellent image quality, and plenty of capabilities. If it has a limitation, it would be the pentamirror viewfinder system, which is not quite as crisp and clear and contrasty when framing and composing through the eyepiece, compared to higher-end cameras, so if you're middle aged like me, the viewfinder image on the smaller two Nikon (and Canon) models is not quite as good as on the mid-range models...which cost hundreds and hundreds more dollars. if your eyes are young, or you plan on framing and composing using the rear LCD, then there's no real limitation to concern yourself with.

Wonderful camera, excellent starters to mid level users.

Ok so between reviews and feedback on the thread confirms the D3300 is the camera for me, my only remaining problem is it comes with many packages which include different lenses and I have no idea which lens would be best or suit me best.

Ok so between reviews and feedback on the thread confirms the D3300 is the camera for me, my only remaining problem is it comes with many packages which include different lenses and I have no idea which lens would be best or suit me best.

I'd recommend starting with a kit lens the 18-105mm or 18-140mm would suit you well.

These are extremely limited lenses in terms of speed, but the VC helps a bit. Use them to help you narrow down the focal lengths you are using the most and or need faster glass for.

Some people don't ever use anything but the kit lens, most of the people around here are gear heads (myself included) so expect me to get flayed for suggesting a kit lens. ;)

So everyone I got the Nikon D3300, Is there any advice anyone has to offer on getting the best from it or how to best to get to know the camera ?

Also can I ask do you keep your lens on all the time once fitted, as I am a little paranoid about taking it off regularly after reading some material about how easy it is to get the sensor dirty when changing lenses and then it has to be professionally cleaned ?

Yes, keep the lens ON the camera 24/7, unless doing a lens swap to a second lens. If you have only one lens then LEAVE the lens on constantly. Reading through the manual would be helpful. I'm not sure if the D3300 has what Nikon used to call "Guide Mode", which used the rear LCD to explain features. A quick Google search will turn that info up.

Sensor cleaning can be done at home, but the swabs and cleaning liquid are fairly pricey items compared to say, rubbbing alcohol and cotton swabs; it takes **special** camera sensor cleaning swabs that are 100% lint-free and clean-room clean, and specialized, non-streaking cleaning solution,and not too much of it either. I would think that a good local shop could clean the sensor for you for maybe twelve to fifteen pounds Sterling.

It's a digital SLR camera...the controls are not that many, and the feedback is immediate, so get out there and start using it. It's not dangerous. It will be FUN!

Read the manual, two or three times. Then shoot some stuff in "A" or "S" or even "P" mode, paying attention to what settings the camera makes when you make adjustments. The read the manual again.

Yes, keep the lens ON the camera 24/7, unless doing a lens swap to a second lens. If you have only one lens then LEAVE the lens on constantly. Reading through the manual would be helpful. I'm not sure if the D3300 has what Nikon used to call "Guide Mode", which used the rear LCD to explain features. A quick Google search will turn that info up.

Sensor cleaning can be done at home, but the swabs and cleaning liquid are fairly pricey items compared to say, rubbbing alcohol and cotton swabs; it takes **special** camera sensor cleaning swabs that are 100% lint-free and clean-room clean, and specialized, non-streaking cleaning solution,and not too much of it either. I would think that a good local shop could clean the sensor for you for maybe twelve to fifteen pounds Sterling.

It's a digital SLR camera...the controls are not that many, and the feedback is immediate, so get out there and start using it. It's not dangerous. It will be FUN!

Thanks Derrel, Did not get off to a great start was unpacking and attaching lens etc, only to find for some stupid reason the battery was missing, so had to trail back to currys to get a battery, also had to pick up a new larger case.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back