Nikon D40 users Lens help

The only lens I can really speak to is the 70-300 VR. Great lens for the price, imo. It's the lens that stays on my camera unless I'm at a party or something and the length will be a hindrance.

Here are a couple of my favorite images take with it (also see my "Grass and Rain" thread here in the beginner's forum). These are all hand held with ambient light. The VR is outstanding. I didn't 100% realize how much it would help, but it's retardedly good.

Late season honey bee. (This is my favorite image taken with this camera so far.)
Great Blue Heron and Cormorants
Green Heron

What kind of lens could I get for my D40 that had a real low depth of field and really close focus ability so I could get shots like this. Either a lens or extension tube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ppsop2009#p/u/1/23nNTwmEBUk

Is there anything like the canon 500d I could get for my nikon 55-200mm VR AF-S lens?

Last edited:
What kind of lens could I get for my D40 that had a real low depth of field and really close focus ability so I could get shots like this. Either a lens or extension tube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ppsop2009#p/u/1/23nNTwmEBUk

Is there anything like the canon 500d I could get for my nikon 55-200mm VR AF-S lens?
I think the Canon 500D is a camera body, known in the US as the Canon T1i.

But a good Nikon macro lensto use on your D40 is the AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED.

You'll notice in that video, he's using a Nikon with it... I didn't pay much attention (at work and all) but it looks like the author of Understanding Exposure.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah I tried to do some macro stuff with my 55-200 but I need to be pretty far away to get focused. I end up using my 50mm. So thats a good idea getting that canon 52mm filter thing. And yes the 55-200 uses a 52mm thread (same as the 18-55 kit lens)

Ok cool so I could use it for either lens. For $75 its worth it for a chance to get some nice close ups :)

You don't show any location info in your profile.

Being the lens is grey market, there are warranty considerations.

A Nikon US warranty is for 5 years, a grey market warranty is for 1 year, hence the difference in price.

The other consideration is Nikon USA Service won't touch grey market gear, warranty or not. If you were to want warranty work done on a grey market piece you'd have to send it to a Nikon Service center outside the US.

From Wikipedia:

"The two main types of grey market are imported manufactured goods that would normally be unavailable or more expensive in a certain country and unissued securities that are not yet traded in official markets..."

Most reactions

Back