Nikon D40 vs Sony A200?

AnthonyCorbo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can someone help me with a comparisson of the two camera's?
All aspects such astechnical, lens choices etc?

I will try not to be rude when I ask why are you comparing them when you seem to already have the D40?

dpreivew.com

Just saw your thread about the 40 being up for sale. I personally think you wouldn't be gaining much by going to the 200. I would start at the 350 and go up if you're considering going with Sony. That live view on the 350 is great for the price.

~Michael~

I could but I won't.

Instead, I will say look at the LENS systems for the two cameras. Digital cameras come and go, but the lenses you will own for 10 or 20 years... so as a NOOB my advise is to look at which LENS system you like the best.

I shoot Nikon because I like Nikon lenses... not because of a particular camera body.

That choice is far more important than which entry level camera body you will buy, especially when both cameras will make excellent pictures (as the D40 and A200 both will).

I understand it might look weird butthey have a deal going on at mylocal camera store for a a200 with kit lens aswellas 70-300 mm zoom lens for 550$ so i was wandering if it'sadecent camera because a zoom for my d40 is 300$ so if i can sellmy d40 for 400$ i can save some money. thats why i was wandering what you guys thought of the a2oo.
sorry for the confusion.

The thing is... it really doesn't matter what the PRICE of the lens is... you can get cheap lenses in any mount... it is about the QUALITY of the lens.

For example... Tamron makes a FANTATIC sharp 70-300 lens with macro that will work great on your D40 for only $131 at Amazon. Yes, it has an internal motor and will work great with your D40. I own this lens... here's a shot I took with it:

antz.jpg

Don't worry about the camera bodies, just pay attention to the lenses.

Thanks so i should keep my camera and just focuson cheaper lens?

Honestly, the kit lens that you have takes amazingly sharp pictures if you know how to use it.

I say if you should work on perfecting your technique with it, unless you plan to do telephoto work...

The best "cheap" telephoto lens for the money is the 55-200 VR... that is of ANY brand that fits a Nikon. That little lens is fantastic and you can find it for very little cash...

Having said that, if you are shooting landscapes your kit lens should get you very far... my guess is that if you are unhappy about how your photos look, then it is the technique and not the camera.

I suggest posting some of what you have shot here and asking for help to improve the pictures... spending money on photography equipment won't help make your pictures better until you are pretty darned good at taking pictures to start with.

Sabath999 it's not that im not hapy with them is jsut i was usued to my old s5 is that zoomed in alot more. I guess i have to get usued to what i got. Thankyou though i will try to perfect my technique with it then think of upgrading.:thumbup:

If you are just dying for a new lens, look into that 55-200 VR. It is cheap, and every bit as sharp as my $1600 70-200 VR (although, to be fair, the 70-200 is a vastly superior lens in everything other than sharpness... but then again it costs 8 times as much).

If you are just dying for a new lens, look into that 55-200 VR. It is cheap, and every bit as sharp as my $1600 70-200 VR (although, to be fair, the 70-200 is a vastly superior lens in everything other than sharpness... but then again it costs 8 times as much).

Thanks thats what i neededto hear:lol:

I love my Sony A200. Takes some great pics.

Id say its really up to you. the D40 is only 6.3MP, the A200 is 10.2 and has built in stabilization. Every lens is turned into a stabilization lens. Even old lenses from before image stabilization came about...

but sabbath999 is right, you can buy an inexpensive tamron, and and they take GREAT pictures. I have one from my canon film camera days (yep i switched to Sony, canon didnt have what I wanted under 1000) I was going to stick with Canon, but I got a A200 with kit lens, a 70-200mm f/4.5-6 lens, a NICE sony alpha bag, and a spare battery for $700 back in june.

Depends what you want. Go see if you can test out the A200. Maybe you will like it more? I went from a Canon A2 (full size camera body) to my A200. canon and nikon lower end bodies were just too small for me, the alpha is just right. If you decide you like the sony, its a megapixel upgrade in the least. Sony makes nikon's sensors, btw.

If you keep the nikon, and get a 70-300 lens, go get a GOOD tripod as well. I have a manfrotto/bogen with ball head. It is about a $150 tripod/head combo, and worth it. You wont do very well hand holding at 300mm...its possible but not too easy unless you have tons of light!

Most reactions

Back