Nikon D50

CedarBranchNikon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In an earlier post, I said I wanted to buy a Nikon DSLR. What is the "typical" opinion of the D50? My present shooting is mostly grandkids, family, vacation, etc. I doubt if I will be "publishing" or "selling". I understand that 6.1 still gives a fairly sharp photo. My first digital was a Vivtar P&S with 3.1 and the shots weren't too bad. What is your opinion, don't be afraid to be "brutally truthful".

The D50 is a good camera. Nikon D50 Review: Digital Photography Review

D50 production stopped at the end of the 3rd quarter in 2006. So the D50 is older technology, but by no means obsolete.

The D50 uses a CCD type image sensor and compared to today's cameras ISO performance usinf CMOS type image sensors, will have difficulty shooting indoors without using flash.

The D50 has an internal auto focus motor so it can auto focus the older Nikon lenses.

The D50 has an internal auto focus motor so it can auto focus the older Nikon lenses.

Huge plus, being it's the only entry level Nikon that has the IFM.

The D50 is a great camera. If you're only going to be using it for personal use and nothing major or serious, it should do more than you need it to.

The D70, D70s, D80, and D90 Nikon entry-level cameras also have an internal auto focus motor.

Does auto-focus require a special lens? I usually prefer to do my own focusing, but if auto-focus gives a sharp picture, I'm mall for it.

Yes, auto-focus dies give a sharp focus and sometimes in lower light than with the bare eye. All it needs is decent contrast to focus. It isn't the answer to everything though and there are number of times that it will not work properly or spend a lot of time "Hunting" for the proper focus. It can also be turned on and off with a switch so given the choice I would always pick an auto-focus camera over one without it.

I have an old d40 that I like. They are all practically the same( minus a few options.) Indoors, you will almost always need flash when the light gets challenging. Ive seen people, with good glass and minimizing crops, print 20x30... The largest I have printed was 11x13 and it looks awesome. The thing I like the most is the electronic shutter and being able to sync to max shutter speed with flash.

I still have my D50 and it is a solid, nice body. It is the lowest camera that Nikon put the AF screw-drive motor in and that is a very nice feature to have. It will do everything you probably want it to.

The D70, D70s, D80, and D90 Nikon entry-level cameras also have an internal auto focus motor.
Silly me. I was thinking of the D40/x, D50, and D60 :lol:. It's funny which camera's are considered "entry-level". I personally don't like to call certain ones entry-level but then again I'm a very strange person.

The D50 is a great camera. My wife has one and refuses to part with it.

I saw on one website Nikon cameras broken down by "commercial" and "something else". From what I've discovered in researching even the "entry-level" cameras are far superior to the P&S and a lot of the other cameras being sold. As I said in another post, I've been shooting photos for over 40 years. Stated with a Kodak Instamatic, moved on to a Yashica Electro 35 "Professional black", then to a Yashhie SLR which I used from 1970 until I lost it in a fire in 2004. Talk about workhorse and longevity. "Sharpness" was determined by film speed, shutter speed, lens quality, and being able to get a good focus and at times considering your depth-of-field while shooting. Now, with these new DSLR's, just reading the "specs" can make your head swim. Thanks for all the info. Feel free to add further if you like.

It's a good camera however I would consider buying something newer with better noise performance and low light capabilities.

Silly me. I was thinking of the D40/x, D50, and D60 :lol:. It's funny which camera's are considered "entry-level". I personally don't like to call certain ones entry-level but then again I'm a very strange person.

Nikon's numbering system is unambiguous.

Nikon has 2 entry-level tiers: the tier of compact cameras they leave the screw-drive AF system out of to make them compact, and the tier of normal size entry-level cameras that have the screw-drive system.

Compact entry-level - D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000, D5100.
Normal size entry-level - D50, D70, D70S, D80, D90, D7000.

The D100, D200, D300/D300s, D700, and D800/D800E are all Prosumer grade bodies.

The D1, D1X, D1H, D2H, D2HS, D2X, D2XS, D3/D3S, D3X, D4 are all Professional grade bodies.

Would a good used D100 be a better camera than a D50? I see the original price, a D100 was double the price of a D50. Would the age difference make that much difference in two cameras in "equal" condition? I look at a Nikon comparison chart trying to compare the "bells and whistles" and it can get confusing. Even though I have a "highly technical" background in the manufacturing industry, still when you start reading camera specs. it can really get "heavy". Appreciate all the input so far.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back