Nikon D5000 VS Canon EOS Rebel T1i

BOOSTED

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

New to the forums and I am tired of the regular digital cameras and looking to spend the extra money on an SLR. Out of these two cameras what would you get and why? And what things should I be looking for? Main things I like to shoot would be cars. And example on someones Flickr that I like and somewhat want my shots like would be:
Flickr: Rockets.'s Photostream

Thanx!

Also both kits would be the 18-55 lens unless people suggest other

I would also look into the new Pentax K-x. It just came out and has been garnering quite a bit of acclaim as being the best entry level on the current market. It's pretty jam packed with feature, is pretty cheap and the noise handling is amazing. I have one right now that I'm testing and it's pretty impressive. I honestly think that it might be the best aps-c for handling high ISO noise. ISO 6400 is really clean, and 12,800 is surprisingly usable. I don't know enough of the features of the three cameras to give you a point by point comparison at the moment, but it's definitely worth your time to check into it. It's a mighty impressive little dslr.

I would also look into the new Pentax K-x. It just came out and has been garnering quite a bit of acclaim as being the best entry level on the current market. It's pretty jam packed with feature, is pretty cheap and the noise handling is amazing. I have one right now that I'm testing and it's pretty impressive. I honestly think that it might be the best aps-c for handling high ISO noise. ISO 6400 is really clean, and 12,800 is surprisingly usable. I don't know enough of the features of the three cameras to give you a point by point comparison at the moment, but it's definitely worth your time to check into it. It's a mighty impressive little dslr.

Thanx I'll do some research on that.

Do you mind posting some sample pics cant seem to find any on the web.

Whichever you find cheapest. I would also look at the Nikon D3000; it can be had significantly cheaper refurbished (good as new) with lens and will perform the same as the D5000 - just without video and the swivel screen. But then who cares about that really. . .

I would caution against the Pentax only if you are interested in the "used market" (which you should be) for future camera upgrades.

When you buy an SLR camera, you are buying into a system which includes lenses, flashes etc. So give a thought to that as well.

It's not hard to know that Canon & Nikon are the big players and will have the most options in terms of lenses & accessories. The Pentax system isn't bad though.

It should be noted that the entry level Nikon DSLR cameras don't have their own focus motors, so while you can still use most Nikon lenses from the last 30+ years, some of them won't AF with these cameras.

The D5000 has better dynamic range, color depth, Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), ISO performance and overall RAW image quality than the T1i:

Here is an independent side-by-side comparison. The comparison is only about image quality, not features.

I will mention the D5000 has color aware Auto Focus and Metering, but the Canon doesn't. Neither camera has an in-the-body focus motor.

It should be noted that the entry level Nikon DSLR cameras don't have their own focus motors, so while you can still use most Nikon lenses from the last 30+ years, some of them won't AF with these cameras.
It should also be noted that none of Canon's cameras have their own focus motors.

It should also be noted that none of Canon's cameras have their own focus motors.
Yes, but ALL of their compatible lenses do...unlike many Nikon lenses.

The trade off is that Canon switched their lens mount back in 1987, so their SLR lenses made prior to that, are not compatible with new cameras. Nikon didn't switch their mount when introducing Auto Focus, so you can still mount old Nikon lenses to new Nikon cameras....the only issue being that the new entry level DSLR cameras don't have the focus motor like higher level bodies do.
For most people, this won't be an issue at all....but some might be disappointed if they expected their new camera to fully work with older lenses they might have or want to buy.

The trade off is that Canon switched their lens mount back in 1987, so their SLR lenses made prior to that, are not compatible with new cameras. Nikon didn't switch their mount when introducing Auto Focus, so you can still mount old Nikon lenses to new Nikon cameras....the only issue being that the new entry level DSLR cameras don't have the focus motor like higher level bodies do.
For most people, this won't be an issue at all....but some might be disappointed if they expected their new camera to fully work with older lenses they might have or want to buy.

I was at a few camera shops today they said the Pentax no where compares to either the Canon or Nikon. I was thinking of getting a bigger lens not jut the 18-55. Is it cheaper to buy a body then a bigger lens? or a 18-55 kit then buy a lens? or a upgraded kit like and 18-55 and some other one?. Like I was thinking with a different lens stores offer the D5000 for about $1200 why not pay $100 more for a D90 then you get a better body and a good lens like a big one. I might give you a call lol

I was at a few camera shops today they said the Pentax no where compares to either the Canon or Nikon. lol

Did they say why? Most camera shops are filled with such Canon/Nikon fanboys that it's not even funny. I've had salespersons tell me that what ever pentax thing isn't as good as whatever canon/nikon, then when I ask them to tell me why, they don't even know the specs. I would love to hear their reasons for why the K-x doesn't come close to the T1i or D5000.

FPS: K-x - 4.7 - win
D5000 - 4
T1i - 3.4

MP: T1i - 15.1 - Win
K-x - 12.4
D5000 - 12.3

ISO - K-x 200-6400 expandable to 100-12,800 - Win
T1i 100-3200 expandalbe to 100-12,800
D5000 200-3200 expandable to 100-6400

Screen - T1i 3.0" 920,000 dots - win
D5000 2.7" 230,000 dots
K-x 2.7" 230,000 dots

Video - T1i 30fps 1080p - win
K-x 24fps 720p
D5000 24fps 720p

AF - K-x 11 points, 9 cross type - win
D5000 11 points, 1 cross type
T1i 9 points, 1 cross type

IS - K-x - in body, works with any lens - win IMO
D5000 - in lens
T1i - in lens

I'm bored now. I don't mean that to be an extensive comparison, nor am I trying to say that the K-x is he best of the bunch, but that is surely enough evidence to lay aside any claims that the K-x "no where near compares to the canon or nikon". Having handled all three, it think the K-x feels the most solid, and like the ergo on it, but that could be opinion.

For $200 less, it's a pretty serious contender, even if it's only just as good as the other two. For $1200 you could have the K-x with the Pentax DA* 16-50mm f/2.8, which is a pro quality, amazing lens. Or for $850 you could have it with the 18-55 kit lens and a 55-300. It looks like the d5000 is the clear loser of the bunch, and the T1i has the edge on the K-c in a few places. But I would wager that the K-x pulls ahead of the pack in High ISO and IQ.

I don't have the K-x at the moment, my wife does, but I might be using it for a shoot tomorrow. I'll try and get some pics up. After all, none of that crap I listed matters much, it's the images that matter, and more so, it's the photographer.

I was at a few camera shops today they said the Pentax no where compares to either the Canon or Nikon. I was thinking of getting a bigger lens not jut the 18-55. Is it cheaper to buy a body then a bigger lens? or a 18-55 kit then buy a lens? or a upgraded kit like and 18-55 and some other one?. Like I was thinking with a different lens stores offer the D5000 for about $1200 why not pay $100 more for a D90 then you get a better body and a good lens like a big one. I might give you a call lol

Holy **** no way in hell would I pay 1200 bucks for a entry level camera with lens. You could get a refurbished Nikon D300 for that cost! Seriously before you spend any money - let us know your budget. You can be directed to quality refurbished cameras for a lot less saving yourself a ridiculous sum of money.

As for the retailers - they no doubt told you that so you wouldn't be disappointed when they told you they didn't carry Pentax. Pentax's lens lineup might be "weaker" but theres no camera on the market that isn't able to produce excellent photos.

Most reactions

Back