Nikon D5000

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I am thinking of buying a Nikon D5000 for my first DSLR camera, and I have two questions. Does anyone who has this think it would be a good beginner DSLR? And what is its slowest shutter speed? Thanks!

Either the D3000 or the D5000 are both good beginner DSLRs. The slowest shutter speed is bulb, which can be endless, but im pretty sure the slowest timed one is 30 seconds.

Either the D3000 or the D5000 are both good beginner DSLRs. The slowest shutter speed is bulb, which can be endless, but im pretty sure the slowest timed one is 30 seconds.

Thanks!

The D5000 is a great beginner DSLR. The only downsides are the lack of an in-body focus motor (that everyone mentions) and the lower resolution rear LCD, neither of which are big issues. If you can afford the D5000 then I would choose it every time over the D3000.

(note - I don't own one, but I nearly did - then my budget increased and for various reasons I went the Canon route!)

Of course, there are other cameras from other manufacturers which are also great. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way.

The D5000 is a pretty good camera, I used it for about a a half a year and it was capable of doing most things needed. The ability to use high ISO is great, the sensor in the d5000 similar to that of more expensive Nikon cameras like the d90 and d300.

But the main downside with the d5000 for me was the ergonomics. If you have the money to go with the Nikon d90 at least consider. They are very similar in IQ, but the d90 has a better feeling build (IMO) dedicated buttons for ISO, WB, etc, a slightly larger view finder, a built in motor, and a few more handy additions.

I think you would enjoy the d5000, especially if this is your first DSLR. But if you're buying it new, the price shouldn't be that far off from a d90 used. Just something to consider.

I have a D5000 and it is a really great camera. It isn't nearly as great as my D90 to shoot, but it holds its own very well. The images it produces are every bit as good as the D90 and it is still pretty user friendly. The controls of the D90 are way better, but as long as you don't get used to using a D90 first, you will never notice that difference.

My D90 has been moved to pure macro duty and serious portrait stuff. The D5000 is my primary family and vacation camera and is the one my wife uses. D5000 is smaller and much easier for my wife to use comfortably while still giving great images.

I have owned d5000 for about 2 weeks, and i like it. It feels nice and i like the quality of high iso pictures. Only downside for me is that it dose not have built in autofocuse motor.
I am beginner my self and i find it to be great.

Most reactions

Back