Nikon D5100...SLR,DX,AF,VR...S...D...H...C...10!

3bayjunkie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.colbyjack.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey Hey!!

I'm sure most of you won't remember me since I was new for only a few months before I deployed off to good ol' Iraq of the middle east. well I really just wanted to say, I am glad to be back... Just bought a new camera, as you can assume from the Post topic. It is the new Nikon D5100. I actually found a package on ebay from a store and was able to get It with the standard 18-55mm AF VR lens that you get on B&H, but for $100 more also got the 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens and the following bonus items for just $100 extra. What a steal!

Here is the list of everything I got for $999.95 + $22.95 shipping:

Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera
18-55mm VR Lens
55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
Transcend 16GB Ultra Speed SecureDigital™ SDHC Class 10 Card
(2) Vivitar 52mm UV Filters
Nikon Compact Digital SLR System Case
Precision Design Deluxe Camera Tripod with Carrying Case
Precision Design USB 2.0 High Speed SecureDigital™ Card Reader
Precision Design Memory Card Storage Wallet
LCD Monitor Screen Protection Kit
Precision Design Deluxe 6 Piece Lens & Digital SLR Cleaning Kit
1-Year Subscription to Digital Photo Magazine
Free High Quality Prints from Clark Color Labs
Full Nikon USA Warranty

I would post a picture but I had it sent to my house in the states since I'm going on vacation soon! but here is an eBay listing of the exact package I bought Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm +55-200mm Lens - eBay (item 360369749274 end time Jun-25-11 10:42:10 PDT)

You might be wondering why I chose this camera. Well there are many reasons. The most important is I only had a budget of $1000. I went over by about $22 but thats ok. close enought! The reason I have such a small budget is (A) I just let my wife buy a $1000 Weaton Terrier Puppy, and (B) I have 3 years to save $60,000 so I can go to ATP Flight school when I finish my contract with the ARMY. By the way, are their any pilots here? If you have any advise for me that would be appreciated. I've only flown on simulators.

I have spent two days strait doing nothing but cross referencing cameras, I finally settled on this beautiful new Nikon D5100. I don't want to bore you with a lot of words, so I am going to try to keep this short and to the point. One of the major selling points to me was to have the ability to record HD Video. I do a lot of traveling and like to take video and also have a one-year-old son (home movies FTW!). I almost bought an expensive point and shoot camera for the compact size, but then decided that I would be disappointed by the small sensor size. Most good point and shot cameras ($500+) have a sensor size of 1/1.6in which is only about 8 x 6 mm. The Nikon DX format is a 1.5x crop which as you know is approximately 23.6 x 15.6 mm. That is a huge difference for the price, but then you sacrifice portability.

Another big selling point was when comparing the Nikon to other cameras in its class. The Pantex K-r was an option and Is an excellent camera, but I finally decided on Nikon so I can keep the lenses when I finally get a D300s, D700 or D3x. here is a comparison of the Nikon D5100 image quality at iso 6400 and 3 other competitors: Nikon D5100 Review: 20. Compared to (Higher ISO): Digital Photography Review You can change the iso on each sample and also change the camera. move the box around on the larger photo to get a 100% crop sample in the 4 squares.

So those are the two main reasons I chose this camera. To sum up; (A) HD Video. (B) reasonable size sensor. (C) Its a Nikon.

Read the full review on it right here: Nikon D5100 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Thank you for your time and gday!
CJ

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
First off - thank you for serving. And secondly, I recently purchased the D5100. So far it has been an amazing camera and I find it pretty hard to put down. I just got the 35mm f 1.8 lens, if you ever need a lens for low light situations or just want some background blur (bokeh) then I'd highly recommend it. Also just thought I'd give you a tip, it is possible to customize the function button on the front of the camera ( below the pop - up flash button) to allow you to quickly change a setting of your choice. I have it on ISO, as I frequently change this. Hope you continue to enjoy your D5100!

(C) Its a Nikon.

Nuff said.

I bought my D90 when my first daughter was one year old, she is now three. Have not regretted it one second. Portability is not really a factor when you are lugging around diaper bags and strollers- the D5100 should fit just about anywhere.

My one suggestion. Get a speedlight (SB-600 or 700). You will thank me every time you use it instead of the pop up flash.

p!nK

First off - thank you for serving. And secondly, I recently purchased the D5100. So far it has been an amazing camera and I find it pretty hard to put down. I just got the 35mm f 1.8 lens, if you ever need a lens for low light situations or just want some background blur (bokeh) then I'd highly recommend it. Also just thought I'd give you a tip, it is possible to customize the function button on the front of the camera ( below the pop - up flash button) to allow you to quickly change a setting of your choice. I have it on ISO, as I frequently change this. Hope you continue to enjoy your D5100!

Ranger that! I am glad I am not alone in purchasing the 5100, I am happy with its features, minus the time laps ability, which actually is important to me, It is the best value for its price (on paper). I can't wait to use it! I previously had a Nikon N80, ripped through i don't know how many rolls of film. I still have all the negs. I loved it, but it was fairly old (1999) and it was film which really got annoying when doing event photography, which i often was volun-told to do.

Thanks for the tip on programmable buttons, that is sweet! I will not be able to use it for about a couple months when I go on R&R, but I will post photos of my trip to Puerto Rico :)

(C) Its a Nikon.

Nuff said.

I bought my D90 when my first daughter was one year old, she is now three. Have not regretted it one second. Portability is not really a factor when you are lugging around diaper bags and strollers- the D5100 should fit just about anywhere.

My one suggestion. Get a speedlight (SB-600 or 700). You will thank me every time you use it instead of the pop up flash.

p!nK

I like your style, Yes I def plan on getting some quality strobes, I never use the pop up flash, it is useless and I'd rather bump the ISO up to 25,000 than use a popup flash :p
Good advice!

Great choice for a starter camera. I came to the same conclusion as I read the specs, saw the sample pix and had my hands on it for about a week.

Since then, I've been recommending D5100 to anyone who's looking to start off in DSLR with a Nikon even though I own a D90 myself. (many D90 vs D5100 questions).

My main point is D5100 and D7000 shares the same sensor and this is one of the most capable sensor Nikon's ever put in their DX format camera. And, at $799 vs $1199 list body only, its an absolute steal. People talk about manual controls on the D90 but D5100 can provide most of the same manual functions except its not with direct dials/buttons, its modified via its LCD with dials. For anyone who's new to DSLR, I think direct buttons (ISO/White balance, etc) are nice to have but not necessary a must have. And as someone already mentioned, there is a programmable Fn button.

HD video to me would just be a plus, icing on the cake.

Good luck and start shooting!

Last edited:
I like your style, Yes I def plan on getting some quality strobes, I never use the pop up flash, it is useless and I'd rather bump the ISO up to 25,000 than use a popup flash :p
Good advice!

Tyler S had the right a idea, get a prime lense 35mm 1.8 or the upcoming 50mm AF-S 1.8, and you can leave the flash at home. ISO 25k is not a good idea, even with this amazing sensor. Too much noise and quality suffers.

grats on the camera, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Also thank you for your service. I am not myself a pilot yet, but I am planning on pursuing it at some point because my company treats the lessons as a kind of continuing education and provides 50% of the cost. Perhaps when you are out you can pursue a job with similar benefits and save yourself some cash (if you can stand the stree of working and taking lessons at the same time while still seeing your family).

Most reactions

Back