Nikon D5200 users question

lacogada

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Watched a youtube video of someone claiming advantages to using the
back button for auto focus.

Hoping someone can confirm that I'm understanding it correctly.

I have my focus mode set to AF-C.
I have the AE-L/AF-L back button set to ON.

I choose my subject ... hit the back button, and once the camera
has focus, I can release the back button and it is set at that distance
until I change it. Is this correct ?

... and to continuously focus on a moving subject, just hold down the
back button and follow subject. Is this correct ?

Also ... reading Byran Peterson's Understanding Exposure.

He often talks about metering or getting exposure setting from some point other
than the actual focused point and locking exposure.

I'm pretty confused by that.

Anyone know the steps to accomplish that on a Nikon ?

Last edited:
Probably worded my title wrong as if I only wanted a reply from D5200 user.

.... not the case, would appreciate any advice on learning the Nikon.

There are many topics on "Back Button Focus" around here. Personally I've never understood the advantage or why anyone would choose to do that (even though Derrel was good enough to explain it to me once). From what I can see it causes the camera to require two button presses to accomplish what it will normally do with one.

If you have the focus mode set to AF-S (without using back-button focus) press the shutter halfway to focus, move the camera to recompose, the focus does not change. No back-button press required. If you have the focus mode set to AF-C (without using back-button focus) press the shutter halfway to focus and the camera will refocus as necessary as the camera-to-subject distance changes. No back-button press required. So why bother adding that extra step in the process? I've never bothered with it.

That's pretty much how AF-C works regardless of which button you are using for AF-ON. I use half shutter press to lock exposure on whatever focus point I have set when using spot metering.

I love having the AFe/AFL button set to do AF-ON. It lets me use 9 pt AF-C much more comfortably without having my exposure locked all the time. Shutter press for me has been just a one press operation for years now. I like it much better this way.

I don't know what Derrel said about it because unfortunately I can't read his posts most of the time. Which sucks because i know he puts out a lot of good information I just can't stand the format. I try but I end up skipping them as soon as the all caps words start.

Thanks for the reply's .... I'll do a search on site to find out more about "back button focus",
then practice and see which option I prefer.

@TheFantasticG
You mention "having my exposure locked all the time".

In reading the "Understanding Exposure" book, the authoring often refers to getting a meter reading from
an area then re-compose to take the shot.

I do not understand this ... or it seems my exposure changes whenever I re-compose.
Guess I'm not understanding how "back button focus" and "lock exposure" work together.

Most reactions

Back