Nikon d600 oil/dust on sensor

TheStupidForeigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I bought a used d600 just over a month ago and quickly realised the sensor was literally caked in what I assume is lubricant from the shutter. It's a known problem so Nikon fixed it without any need for warrenty, and it says online that if the problem happens again they will replace the whole camera of a newer model. Well, it has happened again. Just a thousand photos later and a good amount of spots have appeared on the left side of the sensor. So I am just wondering if anyone has anyone has actually had their camera replaced in this situation? It just seems to good to be true... Epecially as I bought the camera second hand in less than perfect condition.

FB_DSC_0474.jpg

did they actually replace the shutter under the service advisory or just clean it so far?

The paper they gave me says:

"Intensive cleaning of the mirror box, the oscillating mirror mechanics and the sensor area. Preventive measures to reduce dust entry and turbulence have been made. As a preventive measure carried out the exchange of the closing unit"
(I guess that means shutter?)

A bit strange wording but it seems so.

you still need to get the shutter replaced under the service advisory before you can get a new D610. They haven't actually performed the "fix".

Service Advisory

The D600 was a lemon. Do what's necessary ASAP to get a D610.

Braineak got one and I am sure you will get a brand spanking new D610 too.
Dont worry about it, I cant see Nikon will mess with this
What I would do is if they will replace it consider maybe (if its possible) to add some cash and get the D750

Bought mine off of ebay a couple of months ago, after asking the seller whether it had any oil issues or not. She said she was upgrading to a D810 and no trouble with the D600 sensor.

It was fairly cheap (£600) and I knew about the repair that Nikon provide for this model, so I bought it.

Of course, a couple of days after owning it, the oil spots show up. This led me to believe she probably cleaned the sensor before selling it.

I sent it in for repair on the 27th August and just waiting now for them to return it. But, on the warranty page, it's still saying my equipment is awaiting repair!

Any idea how long it takes to repair and when should I expect to receive it?

Well as it says on the official nikon page in my country that they will replace the shutter, if they didn't do the correct repair when I took it to them and told them the exact problem that is 100% their fault... The people at the service center were quite nice so I hope they will also see it this way, I can't be without my camera for a week every few months..

Bought mine off of ebay a couple of months ago, after asking the seller whether it had any oil issues or not. She said she was upgrading to a D810 and no trouble with the D600 sensor.

It was fairly cheap (£600) and I knew about the repair that Nikon provide for this model, so I bought it.

Of course, a couple of days after owning it, the oil spots show up. This led me to believe she probably cleaned the sensor before selling it.

I sent it in for repair on the 27th August and just waiting now for them to return it. But, on the warranty page, it's still saying my equipment is awaiting repair!

Any idea how long it takes to repair and when should I expect to receive it?

Wezza I took mine in person to the service center but they told me at first they would have to order a part so it would take about a week before I could collect it although they actually emailed me 2 days later and said it was ready. So I'd say it shouldn't take more than a week plus the shipping time. Just give them a call and put some pressure on them.

my shutter replacement took my 9 days door-to-door. (June 2014)

my d610 replacement took about the same time, one year later. (June 2015)

I will call them first thing tomorrow!

Need it for a party on the 27th Sept, which is why I sent it in with plenty of time (or so I thought!) :)

The Nikon Invoice Repair will list

RPL SHUTTER MECHANISM

when they replace the shutter.
I have to do an oil check again tonight after soccer to see if there's any new oil and hopefully to a new D610 at some point.

FYI, a few others here have had D610 replacements.

I know someone with this issue and I would pest and badger till I got a replacement

The D600 was a lemon. Do what's necessary ASAP to get a D610.

like braineack, hes going to eventually get a brand new D610 for the price of a used D600.
worst case, hes going to get a brand new shutter for the price of a used one.
lemon or no ,there isn't a better camera deal on the planet right now.
I bought TWO D600's in the hopes that I could get a free D610 (or two)
I would happily buy a third D600 if I needed one.
best deal in DSLR's ever.

Nikon should put out oil slinging cameras more often.

My sense is that Nikon intends to make the D600>D610 swap a limited time offer, so anyone with an ailing/incurable D600--whether original owner or whatever-hand owner who scarfed a used one--should push for a fix or replacement soon. The D600 has been off the market for awhile which was Nikon's obvious bid to contain the damage and limit the number of D610 swaps. Not sure whether buying a cheap,sick D600 in hopes of getting a new D610 is all that smart now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back