chloewindle1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
saving... saving... saving

Forever poor.

However, whats your views and opinions?

If you dont mind having what everyone is considering a goof then its ok. I would go for the 610, it solves the issues that the 600 has and is about the same price if I remember correctly.

The 600 has been plagued with a sensor/shutter oil and dust issue.

If you dont mind having what everyone is considering a goof then its ok. I would go for the 610, it solves the issues that the 600 has and is about the same price if I remember correctly.

The 600 has been plagued with a sensor/shutter oil and dust issue.

And don't buy Firestone tires because they're plagued with failure.

And don't buy drywall from China because it's plagued with lead.

And don't buy Tylenol aspirin because it's plagued with poison.

Ad nauseum, ad infinitum.

How about some evidence that anyone has gotten a D600 LATELY with dust & oil issues?

I normally shoot dx since I'm a bird photographer. My d7100 is being fixed by Nikon so I have been using my friends D600. I think it is a great camera. The d610 was just a marketing ploy by Nikon to save face. Nikon is fixing all the D600 for free now, so if you see a good price on a refurb you should grab one. My friend got his for about 1300 (US) which is much cheaper than the d610. Just my humble opinion..

March 28, 2014. D600 Apology and Clear Statement by Nikon | byThom | Thom Hogan

I do not think the D600 oil flinging issue is over just yet. According to Thom, the D600 has a serious problem with flinging lubricant onto the sensor; worse than ANY other d-slr he's ever owned, and he has owned many. This appears to be a two-part issue: black flecks that are coming off from the mechanism AND lubrication being flung onto the sensor at a rate that is exponentially worse than ANY OTHER d-slr he's ever owned. ANd he is not the "only person".

D600 Apology and Clear Statement by Nikon | byThom | Thom Hogan

The fact is: the brand-new, never-before-used shutter mechanism Nikon slapped into the D600 has been causing problems since 2012 for a good percentage of owners. The D600 was a massive quality control failure on Nikon's part. Nikon has JUST issued a public acknowledgement AND a public apology that ACKNOWLEDGES the issues, and the fact that they will be repairing or REPLACING D600 units which they have "repeatedly serviced".

Quite a few D600 owners want to brush this issue aside, or deny that it ever existed...well...Nikon has acknowledged AND apologized, publicly, for the failures the product has had--within the last week. Nikon has been hit with a couple of class-action lawsuits by D600 owners who bought dud cameras.

Yes the problem exists. Which for 2nd buyers brings a lower purchase price. Luckily mine seems fine so I'm happy with having a FF and my crop.
Seems as though each body has issues, the 600 more than the rest.

I've had my D600 for nearly a year now and have been using it regularly. I have nothing bad to say about this camera and the image quality is outstanding. I owned the D5100 and the D7000 in the past and the D600 outshines these cameras especially when it comes to low light photography. I haven't had any issues with oil/dust spots that some have experienced.

I am sure some good and not so good d600 out there. I would go the d610 just for peace of mind

I haven't really done much shopping online, but in my local camera store the new D600 with the 24-85 Nikkor lens is selling for $1900 whereas the D6100 body only is selling for $2000. This is a $100 difference and a respectable few hundred dollar FX kit lens thrown in. A factory refurbished Nikon is selling for $1400. Given that Nikon is officially resolving the oil/dust spot issue for the D600, given that in all other aspects the cameras are practically identical, I would opt for the D600 in order to save $300-$400 bucks.

Why not get the D610,I just bought one it is one fine camera,the D600 had a lot of shutter problems as might have read,but the choice is yours good luck with whatever you decide sir.

Last edited:
buy the D800....or soon to be released D9300....

I guess if he asked about the D800 then it might be something for him to go and get. And as for the D9300 (Aka D400) which is more then likely going to be a suped up DX body. I would still get the D600 and yes if it does have to go in for repair more then likely it will get replaced with a D610. He gets to save on the price of the D600 and get a D610. With that money he saved he can put towards glass.

D600 is fine. Consider refurbished for peace of mind. Used via adorama or keh, with warranty.

To heck with the D9300 I'm going to wait for the D10,300 ! I think the OP is looking info on D600 if I'm not mistaken not a D800 or a maybe camera down the road,but I could be wrong,have a great day !

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back