Nikon D600 opinions??????

saving... saving... saving

Forever poor.

However, whats your views and opinions?

To be honest I think a full frame system is not really justified in your situation, unless you need it for a specific professional purpose. I think a used D600 is a safe buy now when Nikon has pledged to upgrade its faulty shutter mechanism for free even after the warranty has expired. (I am not sure though if that applies to the second buyer). But the FF is more about the top lenses rather than a camera. I do not see the point in buying a FF camera and not investing in top glass. And top lenses will cost you an arm and a leg... Are you sure you a prepared to keep saving...saving...saving....? Because I am afraid that's what will happen.

She was looking at f/2.8 glass in another thread.
At some point with her professional horse photography and the fast action, low light situations that she's in, she's going to have to upgrade both at some time.

It's hard to get the movement up as knowledge of which to buy, which step to do first, etc is all over the place.

Taking photos of horses in action in low light with her setup (lens and camera) is the problem, so she has to move up to something better. Whether a stepup to something with a better focusing system and f/4 glass first, then later with a better camera and f/2.8 is something she has to figure out based on her budget.

I realized this a long time ago and bought a d7000 and bought fast AF-D glass from the get-go, bypassing the more expensive AF-S glass that the lower bodies requires for AF.

With her lacking budget, I think she'd be good with a d7000 (better AF system for d9, dual wheels, etc) then looking for a better lens, even a tokina/sigma 100-300 f/4 or something like that. I don't know if she even knows of the f/4 lens options lower in budget then f/2.8. I think this would be a great intermediate step which will help her learn new techniques and improve her abilities.

I'm sure the ppl with much more knowledge about all the camera features, options & prices etc can chime in with a better strategy.

I think there are PLENTY of affordable Nikon lenses on the market that will perform well enough on the 24-MP FX cameras. FX has a lower pixel density than APS-C does...APS-C is the system in Nikon that puts the most demand and the most "stress" on lens performance.

A decent lens on the roughly 2.7x larger FX sensor will perform as well as an excellent lens on the 2.7x smaller APS-C format. This week for example, I got to shoot the 28mm-105mm f/3.5~4.5 AF-D Nikkor, made from 19989 to 2006, on 24MP FX Nikon...wow! LOW,low distortion for a zoom lens...amazingly LOW distortion! And it has a pretty decent, usable macro function.

$115 used in EX condition
http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Autofocus-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-NA079990354270?r=FE

Honestly, that same lens makes me wonder why I spent 10x that amount to buy my 24-70 VC, with a more usable long end and macro.

not to even mention that lens's front element was damaged:

IMAG0109.jpg

Although, it was pretty soft on the corners when shooting macro, but the close focus ability alone is nice. I don't have any current lenses that can focus within an arms length.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back