Nikon D610 ISO setting question

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I put the selector switch to Auto-no flash. The ISO will reach a maximum of only 1600 in the darkest of places. It will not go above 1600 in any of the night scene settings either. It will fluctuate from ISO 100 to 1600 depending on the location. I know I must be doing something wrong. Is there a way to set the parameters of where the ISO will work in the automatic setting?

I am not having this problem with my Nikon D3200. In the automatic setting it will fluctuate from ISO 100 to 3200 with no problems.

Thank you,

Lonnie

Go to shoot settings > iso settings

Rotate to one of the shooting modes masp. Turn auto on if off, and set the max iso to 6400. Go ahead and set the min shutter to 1/125 while you are at it.

No sure what you mean by "Turn auto on if off''. I went ahead and turn auto ISO on and the max ISO to 6400. The auto ISO works in the manual setting. But when I the mode to automatic no flash, it still does the same thing. It will only utilize the 1600 ISO and below.

I'm not sure where the ISO 1600 number is coming from. I have not programmed the camera with that number, I have the max ISO set for 6400. Auto ISO is on and it works in the manual mode. But when I go to the automatic setting. It will not utilize over a 1600 ISO. The camera seems like it is stuck. If I can't correct this problem by changing settings, maybe I will have to try a reset.

How slow is the shutter going, maybe 1600 is all it's needs with allowing it to drop the SS too low, i think default is 1/60?

I don't think I've ever shot my D610 in Auto mode to know what it does there. What is the base ISO set at?

The IS0 is pre set to a max of 6400. But in the automatic setting, it will only go up to 1600. I even took the camera to a dark room with the lights off. The max it would go is 1600. The shutter speed will only go to about 1.5 seconds.

The fact that the shutter is going that slow makes sense the camera is stopping at 1600.

There seems to be no way of adjusting the shutter speed in the automatic mode. The camera is supposed to make the adjustments automatically. It's supposed to be fool proof. But I'm stuck on this one. I've read that cameras can be reset to factory settings. Not sure I have the guts to do that right now.

If you were to take your D610 into a dark room, where does the ISO setting go? The dial has to be set to no flash automatic.

I'll test tonight. My min shutter speed is set to 1/160sec, so that may have an affect.

Yup. Looks like in auto mode, 1600 is Max.

Scene mode seems to be 800 max.

Okay, maybe it is the max then. I talked with a technician at Nikon today. She was not aware that 1600 was the max. She is supposed to get back to me tomorrow. I have not seen this in the manual or anywhere else.

I didn't tell Nikon customer service about our discussion of this problem. I want them to confirm it on their own. I think we have discovered that there is a max ISO setting/ceiling in the automatic and scene modes.

Right now the technician at the help desk is doing personal research on the topic. He is also having problems understanding how to set auto ISO in the menu. That is fine. He is probably a new employee and has things to learn things.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back